This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

The days are starting to get warmer and my second semester of college during COVID-19 is starting to burn me out, which means it’s time to look forward to what I’ll be doing over summer break. 

Hammocking

This has been my new found love on campus this semester. It’s super relaxing, a great way to spend time with friends, easy to transport and buying one is fairly inexpensive. It’s also a great social distanced activity if everyone has their own and you find a good space to set up multiple hammocks.

Roller Skating

I’m obsessed with the tiktoks of girls who can roller skate around and dance. It looks so aesthetically pleasing (They wear cute outfits and their skates are colorful with designs.) It’s also a fun way to get active!

Farmers Market and Thrift Shopping

These are two of my favorite ways to spend money during the summer. Local farmers markets are a great way to support local businesses and to find new unique items or yummy food. Thrift shopping and upcycling are fun and great for the environment! Summer is also a great time to go through your closet and donate your old clothes to thrift stores and spread the thrifting love.

Drive in Movie

Drive in movies are so nostalgic and their resurgence is one of the only good things to come out of the pandemic. It’s much more casual than an actual movie theater, so you can talk with friends, laugh, and sing along if it’s the right type of movie. They usually have better snacks with cheaper prices (mozzarella sticks particularly come to mind.) You can also deck out your car with blankets and pillows and fairy lights to make it more of a vibe.

Trampoline SleepOver

In reality, I’m not sure how much I would enjoy this, but the idea seems very fun. It would have to be the dead of summer so it doesn’t get too cold throughout the night but you can pile in your friends with blankets, sheets, and more fairy lights. Bonus points if you’ve been having a bonfire and also watch a movie on a projector in your backyard.

Picnics

This is also an obsession that has arisen because of TikTok. You can get dressed up really nicely, get your favorite foods, and eat a cake with some wine glasses. It sounds like the perfect afternoon. 

Swimming

This is just a summer staple. Growing up around a lot of lakes, I always look forward to barbequing and spending my days at the lake during the summer. Maybe getting on a boat and only taking breaks from the water to eat. This past summer I also started kayaking occasionally and that’s a fun activity to do solo or with friends!

Hi! My name is Catlin Cornish and I'm from New York. I'm a Freshman at Dension interested in studying Women and Gender Studies and Art History. In my free time, I love to write, listen to music or podcasts, play instruments, or hang out with friends!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.