This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Like many people, my skincare routine has been like an old mountain road—long, winding, bumpy, and with a few turns that resulted in dead ends. While I replace certain products when I come across new and better findings, I have finally settled into a routine that works for me and keeps my acne under control.

Here is what I do on a nightly basis and some products I use when my acne starts to act up:

Cetaphil:

I am in a two-year relationship with this facial cleanser. Throughout my skincare journey, I’ve tried a variety of different drug store face washes, all of which contained high amounts of benzoyl peroxide and other harsh chemicals. While these chemicals are great for topical treatments, I personally found that a gentle cleanser does the job for me. Cetaphil makes my skin feel clean and healthy without over-drying or stripping my skin. 

Tip: If you wear face makeup, I suggest using a face wipe to take the bulk of your makeup off before washing your face with this cleanser. 

Epiduo Forte: 

For me, THIS STUFF WORKS WONDERS. I struggled with mild acne that I could never get under control throughout my teenage years. While you need a prescription for this medication, I highly recommend asking for a sample from your dermatologist to try it out first. I recommend GoodRX for coupons and discounts.

Tip: If you have extremely sensitive skin, this product might not be best for you. Try it out on one part of your face first to see how your skin reacts. 

CeraVe Facial Moisturizer PM:

Honestly, I am not in love with this moisturizer, but it gets the job done. It is lightweight, smooth, and non-oily, leaving my skin feeling calm and moisturized. It contains Hyaluronic acid to lock in moisture, Niacinamide to reduce redness & soothe your skin, and Ceramides to protect your skin’s barrier. 

Tip: Add a couple of drops of face oil (I use Mary Kay’s Naturally Nourishing Oil) to leave your skin feeling soft to the touch.

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion:

This product has been in my skincare routine since middle school.  I only use it when I am breaking out. It is a fast-acting, effective spot treatment for whiteheads. It dries up your breakouts overnight without causing irritation or peeling. This formula contains a potent combination of salicylic acid, sulfur, and zinc oxide to reduce the appearance of your breakouts. I love this product because other spot treatments I tried aggravate my acne and cause my breakouts to have more inflammation.

Tip: DO NOT shake the bottle. The pink formula at the bottom goes directly on your pimple. This formula is supposed to settle at the bottom. Use a QTIP to reach the bottom of the bottle. Then apply this formula precisely on the pimple(s).

Olivia Ewing

Denison '22

Welcome! I'm an Anthropology/Sociology and Black Studies double major from Atlanta, Georgia. I love listening to music, reading and relaxing in my down time. I'm passionate about social activism and spreading love & positivity. My articles should reflect that :)