Wellness

How to Manage Stress Going Into Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As we enter the month of October we also enter the dreaded midterms season. The stress and anxiety around this time of year is tangible all across campus and can be seen on just about anybody’s face, including mine. But ever since last year I have been utilizing some techniques to help me manage my stress levels. The list of things below are actual methods that I use to deal with the stress of midterms, and college in general, and I hope you find them helpful because they really have worked wonders for me. Slowly add each of these elements into your life and I promise you won’t regret it. 

1.  Exercise

This can mean different things for different people. Personally, I enjoy taking part in the exercise classes offered at my university. It gives me a chance to take a mental break and focus on something other than my studies, at least for a little bit anyways. I really love going to Yoga because it is the ultimate combination of exercise and meditation, a perfect blend that results in relaxation and clarity. Some other forms of exercise include going for a walk, biking, running, swimming, or going to the gym. Even just 10-15 minutes a day can help decrease your stress levels. Exercise releases hormones called endorphins, or the “feel good” hormones, into the body and decreases levels of the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol. So if you’re ever studying and feel like you just can’t take anymore, go for a walk outside and see how you feel. 

2.  Sleep Sleep Sleep 

Sleeping is immensely important for our bodies, both mentally and physically. According to the National Sleep Foundation, young adults (ages 18-25) need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep a night. It seems impossible, with all the work we are given, but it really is achievable. Something that has helped me is waking up at the same time every morning, regardless of when my classes start. This way my body is used to waking up at that time and is less resistant to getting up earlier on the days when I need to. Compared to last year I have been going to bed much earlier and I see a real difference in my overall mood, productivity, and stress levels. 

3.  Stay Organized, Don’t Procrastinate

Waiting until the last minute to study will only make the stress worse. Trust me, I know. As someone who has always been a chronic procrastinator I know that it’s tempting to push something off until the last possible second. Sometimes it works out and the result is good, but it’s the stress that comes along with procrastinating that isn’t. One tip I have is to stay organized from the beginning. If you keep your notes organized, then the work will seem less overwhelming and you will be less likely to procrastinate. But if you do end up procrastinating then keeping your notes organized will enable you to spend more time cramming and less time fishing around trying to find all of your materials. 

4.  Get it out

By this I mean do not let the feelings of anxiety and stress sit inside of you, get them out. It is important to either talk about them with someone or write them down. When I want to talk to people about how I am feeling I go to my friends on campus because they understand what I am going through better than anyone else. If I don’t feel like talking it out, I choose to write it down. I keep a journal where I write about my thoughts, feelings, activities, etc. because it helps me reflect on everything. I find that after I write all my thoughts out on paper I feel a lot better, as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. 

Take some deep breaths and remember that you are smart, talented, beautiful, and loved, and that, in the words of Bob Marley, “every little thing [is] gonna be alright”. <3

Maria Kennedy

Denison '22

Hi! My name is Maria and I am from Boston, Massachusetts. I am a sophomore at Denison University majoring in Environmental Studies with a concentration in Ecosystem Conservation. I enjoy being outside, reading, and baking. I am very excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!