How to Carry Your Hot Girl Summer Vibes into Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

You had your smoothie bowls, suffered through a few hot yoga classes, took those 

beach bikini pictures for Instagram, and went on your mid-summer road trip with your girls… but 

what happens now? Has your “hot girl summer” officially ended since school started? Don’t 

worry… it hasn’t. Even though you might not be able to live the same carefree summer lifestyle 

during these upcoming fall months, you can turn this “hot girl summer” mindset into a permanent 

way of going about your day-to-day life! 

It all starts with self-care. The tanning oils, body/facial mists, and shimmer lotions might 

have to retire to the back of your cabinet for now, but don’t deprive your body of that healthy 

glow! Various brands at Ulta, Sephora, and Bath & Body Works change their body care 

inventory based on the season. Take advantage of the sweet and decadent smells of these 

products to give off warm, cozy energy while still providing some much needed moisture to your 

skin. Take some time to care for your body. You might be showing off less skin, but that doesn’t 

mean you can’t allow yourself to feel as fresh and pampered as you did during the summer 

months. Also, don’t let the idea of a nice, long, relaxing shower fade away this fall. The 

memories of washing off sweat from the heat of the summer sun and looking down to admire 

your freshly tanned legs might haunt you, but fall showers are just as important for your body 

and mind. Develop a routine of cleansing with a new shower gel, moisturizing shampoo & 

conditioner, and calming face wash, while listening to some relaxing music in the evenings. If 

you loved your smooth skin during the summer, don’t let your shaving schedule fall behind! It’s 

okay to give your legs some attention, even if they’re covered during the day.

Next, you have to tackle fashion. Choosing your “hot girl summer” outfits seemed so 

easy… some cute jean shorts and a breezy crop top over a floral bathing suit made any day 

seem fun, but now the challenge is finding fall pairings that match your newfound “hot girl 

autumn” attitude. Layers are the most important way to fight off the urge to throw on those 

comfy leggings and hoodie every morning. Putting on a knit cardigan over any old pair of jeans 

and tee shirt adds a fashionable yet cozy element to your look. Just because you’re staying 

warm doesn’t mean you can’t look hot! If you stayed away from experimenting with makeup 

during the summer heat, try adding a pop of color to the inner corner of your eye or on the lid; it 

will help you look more fresh and awake. Long, curled eyelashes stay consistent throughout the 

seasons, but if you’re in the habit of filling in your eyebrows, try a darker shade! If not, you can 

let them grow out a little, giving off a more natural yet fuller look. Of course, if makeup is not a 

part of your everyday routine, there’s many small additions and adjustments that you can make 

to spice up your fall look. Try darkening your physical features, while still letting color make an 

appearance in your clothing. You can darken your roots, or let your hair grow out to adjust 

yourself to the incoming cold weather. However, don’t forget that color is important all year! 

Switch out those neon pink bikinis for a magenta sweater or a pair of patterned Vans. This 

doesn’t mean you have to throw all of your summer pieces into a bin under your bed… try 

restyling your summer faves. You can take the classic summer flowy pants and pair them with a 

jean jacket and some combat boots for an edgy autumn element. Remember those easy, floral 

dresses you threw on for those quick, casual dinners throughout summer? Keep those in your 

closet this season; you can pair each one with a jacket, some thigh-high socks, and tall boots to 

dress up with ease. Don’t bother removing your string friendship bracelets, beaded anklets, or 

shell chokers; you can make them work with any fall outfit. They can also serve as small 

reminders of your sweet, summer memories. Women’s fashion trends tend to create concrete 

rules regarding the “right” things to wear for each season, but your “hot girl summer” closet can 

be recycled into unique, original fall fashion.

Now that you have your “hot girl autumn” mindset, self-care routine, and fashion ideas, 

you can take advantage of the full fall experience by taking part in some activities that are 

specific to the season! Don’t let the colder weather keep you cooped up in your room; grab 

some friends, your favorite camera, and make some memories. Apple picking, hayrides, nature 

walks, and football games seem cliche, but if you enjoy using social media to document your 

experiences, these activities are a perfect way to show off your “hot girl summer” lifestyle 

throughout fall.

Annabelle is a senior at Denison University, majoring in Educational Studies. She enjoys journaling, finding cute coffee shops, and crafting in her free time. On campus, she serves as a board member and social media head for Denison's chapter of Her Campus, so check out our instagram @hcdenison!