This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Let’s be real: sometimes the dining hall food just plain sucks. Compared to home cooking, Bon Appetit just can’t compare. However, we are lucky to have so many sustainable dining options on campus, especially during the pandemic, and there certainly are some hidden food gems. Here are some of my favorite things to eat at each of Denison’s main dining locations:

• Curtis – Unpopular opinion, but Curtis is my favorite place to eat on campus. I love the big windows and natural lighting, the Pure Fare section, and the to-order deli sandwiches along with the all-around better food choices. If you disagree, try out some of these options:

• Chicken Salad Sandwich – When I don’t like any of the hot food options, this is my go-to. Chicken salad on toasted multigrain with the veggies of your choice is a reliable lunch option.

• Fresh Fruit Fridays – Fresh berries make any meal better. Period.

• Winner Winner Chicken Tender Dinner – A CLASSIC. If you don’t go to Curtis on Sunday nights, you’re totally missing out. They don’t just have chicken tenders, oh no, they also have mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and fried tofu for our vegan friends. Something comforting for everyone on a Sunday evening.

• Huffman – Also an unpopular opinion, but Huffman is the worst. I feel like I’m always settling for something I don’t really want to eat but am stuck eating because it’s convenient. However, I have found a few things that I do enjoy:

• Yogurt – I’m sure you can get this at any dining hall on campus, but I love a good yogurt parfait for breakfast. Plain Greek yogurt with grapes and that addictive crunchy granola is a staple of mine. I sometimes even get it for dinner on the weekends lol.

• Pork Verde – I only just ate this for the first time this past week but I would definitely go back for it again. It was yummy pork served over rice with some beans and salad on the side. Much better than their usual Taco Tuesday fare.

• Cream cheese frosting anything – I am actually in love with cream cheese frosting and Huffman has made some yummy desserts including pumpkin, cinnamon, and banana cake with the glorious frosting on top.

turkey and cheese Sandwich
Photo by Mae Mu from Unsplash

• Slayter – I have gone to Slayter less this year than any before since the dining halls now offer takeout, but I still have some favs when I stop in:

• BLT – These sandwiches remind me so much of home, so when I’m feeling extra homesick this is a must.

• Classic Cheeseburger – Cheeseburgers are one of my favorite foods and they’re a safe bet if you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for. They’re also the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and veggies that while satisfy any grumbling belly.

• Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie – I’ve been known to have eaten a few of Slayter’s chocolate chip cookies in my day. Pro tip: Eat the crunchy edges first so you’re left with the chewy, buttery inside for your last bites. You’re welcome.

• Greek Salad – I have sooooo not been in the mood for salad lately, but for the nights that I want a lighter dinner, I usually go for the Greek salad. It has feta and cherry tomatoes on it which are two of my absolute favs and the lemony dressing is also delicious. If you’re going to eat lettuce, this is the way to go.

• Silverstein – I wish it wasn’t a 20 minute walk from where I live because Silverstein is my new favorite place. I love that there is a mini grocery store inside and that they have scrumptious sandwiches. (Although I HATE that it’s called Slivy’s instead of Silvy’s, did they make a type-o or what????)

• Turkey on Ciabatta – I don’t know the actual name of this sandwich but, trust me, it’s heavenly. You can’t go wrong with sliced turkey on toasted ciabatta with arugula, tomato, cheese, and a lemon aioli. *chef’s kiss*

I can’t say that I eat at any of the other dining locations on campus very often, if ever, so if you have any recs yourself, let me know. Happy eating!

Grace

Denison '22

Grace is a senior Educational Studies and History double major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor from a small town in Northeast Ohio. When she's not busy studying or writing for Her Campus, you can find her spending time with family and friends, playing volleyball with her BFFs, listening to country music, or eating choclate chip cookies :)
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.