This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

It doesn’t take much for me to cry at a movie. In fact, my friend showed me Frozen 2 for the first time a few weeks ago, and that made me cry. However, when I watched the new movie Clouds on Disney Plus last weekend, the tears were not only due to the highly emotional, tragic plot, but the beautiful message behind the film. Let me explain.

Clouds is based on a true story. 17 year old Zach Sobiech had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Instead of letting the fact that he didn’t have much time left push him into a mental downfall, he decided to live out whatever life he had left. An innately talented songwriter and musician, Zach put his anguish and passion into song, notably one called “Clouds.” The song, with his unique, heart-aching story behind it, became a phenomenon and the teen from Minnesota was heard on the radio and the iTunes charts. Zach really managed to achieve his dream before his cancer took him in May 2013. Zach’s journey to fame was helped immensely by his episode of My Last Days, a docuseries on YouTube directed by Justin Baldoni. Yes, that Justin Baldoni from Jane the Virgin. On a quick side note, I’ve always been Team Rafael and cried during the final episode of the show. I wasn’t kidding when I said it doesn’t take much for a movie or show to make me cry. Anyway, back to Zach. Justin directed My Last Days, and Zach shared his inspirational, poignant attitude on living his teenage years with knowing he has limited time. The quote that stuck with Justin, and made its way into the movie, was “you don’t have to find out you are dying to start living.” Seven years after Zach’s death, Justin directed Clouds. Due to COVID, it went directly to Disney Plus instead of being shown at theaters. The timing of this movie is special. 2020 has been a trying year for literally everyone; for some, covid has directly impacted their lives and put disease and its turmoil at the forefront of their lives.  This movie pulls at the heartstrings (tissues are an essential part of the viewing experience) by spinning the unimaginably tragic into a lesson about a fulfilling life. This year, we need all the inspiration and positivity we can possibly get. Clouds provides just that and so much more.

Hi! My name is Zoe Bernstein and I'm a sophomore at Denison University. I'm from Chicago, IL (yes, I'm actually from the city). I'm a psychology major and am passionate about mental health. In my free time, you can find me hanging out with my friends, watching TikTok or Netflix, listening to Taylor Swift, or drinking coffee. My favorite shows to watch include Grey's Anatomy, Station 19, Lucifer, and Friends.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.