samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bedding? Check. School Supplies? Check. Major? I’ll get back to you on that one…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Picking a college major is a big decision, and should be treated as such. Never rush into something that is not meant to be, especially when it is something as serious as your major.

As I was applying to colleges, I was not worrying too much about what I was going to major in. I knew I was interested in International Relations, but beyond that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I applied to mainly liberal arts schools, so I did not really have to worry about picking a major when I applied, but it was something that was always in the back of my mind.

Coming into Denison, I was technically an International Studies major. However, I realized pretty quickly that that was not the path that I wanted. College made me realize that I had so many more possibilities than I had previously thought. Even better, with a liberal arts degree, sometimes what you major in does not even matter for what your job ends up being. I had always loved history, and so I sat down and really thought out my next move. I could actually major in something that really interested me, and apply it to whatever job I wanted in the future. Sure some majors are better than others for jobs, but the type of work I was interested would allow for many majors to take that role. History was something that I was always interested in, so I thought I would give it a shot. Surprisingly, the best way to include International Relations in my schedule was through Political Science, so I made that my minor to have a different side to my education.

Although I was not technically undecided when I came to college, I was undecided in my mind for what I actually wanted to do. The benefit of going to a liberal arts college is that it allows you to explore many more possibilities subject-wise. So to everyone that is struggling with picking a major, do not worry. You will find a subject that you are passionate about sooner than you think. The most important thing is to find something that actually interests you, rather than picking a major that you think will look best on resumes.

A Junior at Denison who loves history, reading, and traveling a little too much