This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Dating has always been tricky but maintaining a relationship during COVID-19 makes it more challenging than usual. If you have spent enough time on the internet, you must have come across multiple articles online or Instagram posts about the red flags to find in a relationship. Well, my dear readers today we will walk the road less traveled and go over some of the green flags that you should look for and appreciate in your relationship. Whether you want to be cautious about entering into a new relationship or are figuring out if your current one is going uphill or a complete downslide, this article will help you notice some of the good that is often overlooked!

“He makes me feel comfortable.”

Many of us have different personas offline and online. We put up a guard in the fear of heartbreak, betrayal, or anything that could bring pain. If you are with your significant other and don’t feel like you can put down your guard around them, we may have a problem. Your SO should be your safe space, the person in front of whom you never have to act different or be someone you’re not. If your SO makes you feel safe and comfortable, that’s a green flag right there!

“She lets me have my time.”

The desire to spend time with your SO is completely normal but you shouldn’t forget your life outside this relationship. If your SO doesn’t make a big fuss when you make plans with your friends or decide to sleep early at night, that is a bright green flag. I know that we love to spend time with our SO but you should never let it completely consume you or you might be in trouble once you do try to break out of the norm. So, make sure you’re able to distribute time equally on your work, health, loved ones and your SO. Individuality is the key to companionship after all.

“They make me feel respected.”

This is a big green flag to look for while getting into a relationship and making sure it stays the same throughout. If your SO respects you, your wishes, and your opinions, that is something that will help you foster a healthy relationship as opposed to someone who doesn’t understand boundaries and would make crude jokes at your expense. If their jokes make you feel hurt or uncomfortable, that is not okay! Make sure you talk to them and let them know what’s troubling you. Your SO should respect your physical and emotional boundaries, don’t let them pressure you into doing things because that is not love.

“He challenges me but in a good way.”

A healthy and happy relationship is one where both partners want the best for their significant others. Now is the age and time where most of us are making decisions that define the path for our future. Basically, right now is the best time to have your personal cheerleader. Your SO should always support you when you take a big jump rather than making you question doing things that you love. If your SO helps you plan and then is there supporting you as you take on life at full speed then you have a green flag in your hand!

“She accepted it was her fault.”

If your SO is able to accept their faults in an argument rather than putting all the blame on you, that is a green flag. Don’t stay in a relationship where your SO always makes you feel guilty or at fault. We are all human and we make mistakes, the best move is to own your mistakes and never make someone else feel like they are the only ones at fault. 

“We had issues but we worked through them.”

This is the most important and the biggest green flag in a relationship. I can’t stress this enough but always make sure that you have great communication. One of the most important things in a relationship is the ability to communicate freely. It is completely normal for couples to have fights or disagreements. It is also normal to not talk to each other if you’re feeling hurt or annoyed. What is important, however, is that, once you do calm down, you are able to communicate with your SO and work through the issues rather than brushing them under the carpet. We always run to our friends for advice and talk to them about every detail and analyze who is at fault. Your SO should also be your best friend, you should also go to your SO and talk about whatever happened and find a solution together. If your SO can make an environment for you where you both can talk freely then that is the best thing you can look for in a relationship.

Samantha Roy

Delhi South '21

Samantha is currently doing her final year of B.A English honours from Jesus and Mary college. Most of her time is spent watching underrated shows on Netflix and rereading books to relish the sense of nostalgia and comfort.