corgi bridgerton?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
corgi bridgerton?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX

My Netflix Favorites: Top 4 Period Dramas To Watch This Season

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The shift to the Winter season heralds the transition from a bright, vibrant summer to the tranquility of chilly fervors. It’s a time when I savor the cooler temperatures after a long summer. The scenic beauty that emerges at the onset of the season is truly a blessing for the eyes – evoking diverse emotions, often with a blend of gratitude and embracement. 

The season is perfect for laying back, relaxing, and getting in the mood to celebrate a range of grand festivities, from Thanksgiving and Halloween to Diwali, Christmas, and the New Year. And who can resist the urge to binge-watch web series during this time of the year? It is the apt season to get into my comfy clothes and spend quality time in rejoicing some of the best period drama series Netflix has to offer. Being a historical drama buff, I’m aware of a few series that are ideal for the genre. These can be watched anytime to get ourselves immersed in the world of entertainment. And what could be better than enjoying slices of pizza or waffles with a cup of hot chocolate while being in the Netflix zone? Yes! The winter mood couldn’t be more perfect. 

Hence, to satisfy your binge-watching spree, here are some of my favorite period dramas to watch on Netflix:

ANNE WITH AN E!

ANNE WITH AN E! is a phenomenal web series based on the life of an orphan girl, Anne Shirley (played by Amybeth McNulty), lost in her vibrant imagination. She sees life as a gift as she lands in her new home with aging siblings, Matthew Cuthbert and Marilla Cuthbert (played by R.H. Thompson and Geraldine James respectively), in Green Gables, a town on the outskirts of Avonlea, Canada. The original story, written by Lucy Maud Montgomery, is about an orphan in her 1908 novel, Anne of Avonlea.  

The series captures the vibes of Fall, set against the backdrop of the lush greenery of Avonlea. The characters sport comfy costumes from puff sleeves, cotton dresses, and straw hats to cowboy boots – straight out of the late Victorian era. 

Anne grows up in the comfort and love of the Cuthberts while searching for the family she’s always dreamed of. The story hits a sweet spot when her romance with Gilbert Blythe (played by Lucas Jade Zumann) blooms. Their love story, also a fan-favorite, is the epitome of soulmates portrayed in such a way that it tugs your heartstrings.

THE QUEEN’S GAMBIT

Starring Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit is based on Walter Tevis’s 1983 novel by the same name. She depicts the life story of a young chess prodigy named Beth Harmon. The show is set in the 1950s and 1960s, giving us a peek into Beth’s obsession with chess, which becomes her lifeline. Being an orphan, she discovers chess as her ultimate escape from her surroundings. Her surroundings included drugs distributed to her and other children in the orphanage through green pills to keep them subdued. 

Upon getting adopted by a childless suburban couple, she adapts to her new environment and enters a chess tournament, winning it despite having no prior experience. From there on, she dives headfirst into the world of competitive chess, making it her newfound identity. 

The chess scenes on the show are commendable and could make anyone feel interested, regardless of one’s degree of inclination towards the game. As the story unfolds, it keeps viewers hooked, proving the masterpiece status of the show. It’s the perfect watch for the winter season, offering a relaxed mind and engagement through the plot twists of a never-before-seen show like The Queen’s Gambit

BRIDGERTON

Created by Chris Van Dusen and based on Julia Quinn’s historical romance novels, Bridgerton is one of the best shows that make you snug up during the winter. It’s all about the warm yet tangled story set in England’s Regency era.

The show follows Daphne Bridgerton (played by Phoebe Dynevor), the eldest daughter of the politically connected and powerful nominal family, as she navigates the competitive marriage market of the time. Her parents urge her to hunt for true love. Her kindness and cordial nature make her stand out as a sought-after bride for countless men. So far, the show has aired two seasons, showcasing the quest for the love of Daphne Bridgerton and Simon Basset (played by Rege-Jean Page), and Anthony Bridgerton (played by Jonathan Bailey) and Kate Sharma (played by Simone Ashley). The announcement for Season three has officially been made and is set to release in four episodes, with part one premiering on May 16, and part two arriving a month later on June 13. 

The Bridgerton family is composed of eight close-knit siblings who are bound to navigate London’s high society in search of love, happiness, and satisfaction. 

THE CROWN

If you ever want to dive into the lifestyle of the British Royal family, especially focusing on the life of the late Queen Elizabeth II, then The Crown is one of the most apt shows. It’s like stepping into the holiday mood to get engaged with the profound sensational lifestyle of the world’s most celebrated Royal family. 

A Netflix must-watch, The Crown delves into the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. Created by Peter Morgan, it covers all the details of events that unfolded in the lives of the Royal family – from the marriage of Queen Elizabeth II in Season One to the intense focus on the tumultuous relationship between King Charles and Princess Diana in seasons four and five. The sixth and final season of the show was released in two volumes showcasing the life and reign of Queen Elizabeth II, and some major events, including the death of Princess Diana, the golden jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, the relationship between Prince William and Kate Middleton and the wedding of King Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles. Despite controversies over historical accuracy, this drama keeps you on the edge of your seat with its exhilarating and dramatic episodes.

I hope my winter watchlist helps you with your next period drama sesh!

Thus, get ready to snuggle up in your blankets (along with those amazing snacks!) and embark on a thrilling historical journey this season.

Kakolika Gogoi

Delhi North '25

Kakolika Gogoi is a member of the editorial team at Her Campus Delhi North Chapter. She is determined to produce write ups related to career, life and entertainment that include the coverage of the world of education, movies and music, and general life experiences. Kakolika is extremely passionate about the field of international relations and public policy and could see her scroll through her twitter feed only to acquaint herself with the occurrences of the world. She is a trained singer and hence never misses a day without getting her vocals set into numerous tunes, that is to say, she loves to sing with her heart out. A movie buff, Kakolika favors watching movies that comprise great historical drama and feel good romcoms. Her mom is her biggest bestfriend and hence is the one with whom she can gossip all day long and rant together with all the relatable problems that come along their way!