Culture > Digital

JIM AND PAM: MY NEW FAVORITE ON-SCREEN PAIR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Being the Netflix buff that I am, it’s safe to say that I’m well aware of tons of adorable on-screen couples. However, one couple that made my aloof and distant heart flutter a little is Jim and Pam from the hit sitcom, “The Office”.

This stress-buster of a TV series has a ton of characters that make you laugh really hard, be it Dwight or Kelly, Micheal or Kevin, or someone else from the caste. None of them fail to disappoint but the main reason why I personally like the show is because of Jim and Pam – the starcrossed lovers.

They say that love evolved from friendship is bound to last forever. And it certainly does hold true for the two of them. Throughout the 9 seasons, we get to see a lot of sweet moments as their friendship evolves into a healthy, happy marriage.

But the thing I loved the most about them is the realistic portrayal of their relationship. 

Not one episode has a hint of forcefulness or superficiality. I’ll give credit where it’s due, the writers did an exceptional job in making sure that their storyline looks natural, and the two actors, of course, played their roles with perfection. 

We all know how difficult maintaining a relationship can be sometimes, and unlike other Sitcoms where we see couples living the perfect life, we see them hurdling through the obstacles that come their way.  Be it Pam’s former fiance or having to be in a long-distance relationship to support each other’s dreams or Jim not being able to balance his work and personal life in the 9th season, they both communicate and make it work. The sweet little moments in between like giving each other small, personalized gifts show how important such little gestures can be in a relationship. 

When I look at Jim and Pam, I see two pieces of a puzzle that complete one another. In the 9 seasons, we see them laugh and cry, we see them learn and grow- together. 

And call me a fool if you wish to, but in a world full of grand gestures and Romeos and Juliets, I would rather have a relationship like them.

Zoya Hanif

Delhi North '23

A second-year student at Hansraj College who's always up for trying something new!