Wellness > Mental Health

“I’m fine. Why should I seek help?”: Signs You Need To See A Therapist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Mental health treatment, also known as psychotherapy, talk or talking therapy, counselling, or simply therapy, may help people who are dealing with emotional problems, life struggles, or mental health issues.

At some point or the other, we all experience stress, anxiety, mood swings, and other types of emotional distress in our lives. It may arise due to professional failure, rejection, financial difficulties, marriage, personal tragedy, or entirely something else. Whatever be the reason, majority of the time, we are able to recover from it ourselves. However, we can need some additional, outside assistance from time to time and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe you’re feeling down or empty and can’t seem to shake that bad energy. Maybe you’ve noticed some negative trends in your life that you just can’t seem to break. The symptoms of mental or emotional distress may be evident at times. They are, however, more difficult to locate at some other times. 

Most of the time, when people hear the word “therapy”, they tend to freak out. But contrary to popular belief, psychotherapy isn’t just for those who are suffering from mental illness. It can even help someone who is dealing with tension, strong feelings, or life changes and just wants to improve their situation. Now you must be thinking about what psychotherapy actually does and how does it help us? Well, Psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy, offers a confidential, nonjudgmental environment in which you can vent about your experiences, discuss your choices, and build skills to deal with a variety of life challenges. In simple words, it’s liberating. You pour your heart out without getting judged or misunderstood. 

It’s crucial to remember and BELIEVE that reaching out isn’t a sign of weakness but rather a significant move toward self-care. And the sooner you seek assistance, the sooner you will be able to get back on track. 

Here are some vital indicators or signs that reflect it’s time to seek professional help:

You’re having trouble controlling your feelings and emotions

Although we all experience sadness, anxiety, or anger at some stage in our lives, it’s important to pay attention to how often or deeply we experience these emotions. More often than not, extreme anger is a part of a depressive representation. Uncontrolled anger can also represent negative feelings about oneself or the environment, resentment, or a poorly managed reaction to stress in addition to depression. Similarly, if anyone feels depressed, empty, and uninterested for long periods of time, it may be a symptom of clinical depression. 

You’re not as productive at work or school as you once were

A drop in job or school performance is a common symptom in those suffering from psychological or emotional problems. These issues not only affect focus, concentration, memory, and energy but also trigger apathy. They sap work enjoyment and motivation, resulting in a lack of interest and mistakes at work, all of which lead to low productivity. Seeking the aid of a therapist will help you better self-regulate your behaviour and learn more adaptive stress management techniques such as constructive problem solving and relaxation techniques.

You notice changes or disturbances of sleep or appetite 

Sleep and appetite may also be affected by mental health problems. Some people overeat to numb their feelings when they are stressed, while others find they can barely eat. An anxious individual or someone in a manic state may experience sleeplessness, whereas a person who is severely depressed may sleep all the time. So, if you’ve been eating or sleeping less or more than usual for an extended period of time, it may be time to hit the pause button and take stock of your situation.

You’re having trouble forming and maintaining relationships.

Our mental health can have a number of effects on our relationships—it can cause a person to withdraw from others close to them, create vulnerability in a relationship, or cause them to rely heavily on another person for emotional support. All of these circumstances may have a negative impact on new or established partnerships. Therapy will assist you if you often find yourself in disagreement with others or have difficulty expressing your emotions to others. A professional therapist will teach you better social skills, such as polite assertiveness, sticking with the ‘I’ language rather than the ‘you’ language, fair combat, and so on.

You’re coping with drugs or sex.

According to the Indian Police Journal (July to Sep 2019) BPRD, in order to cope with mental or emotional stress, we resort to activities that are rewarding, numbing, distracting, or destructive – which is why drug misuse and sex are frequently utilised as coping techniques. 

Substance abuse can temporarily relieve negative emotions such as hopelessness, anxiety, irritability, and negative thoughts. However, in the long run, it exacerbates the problems and often leads to violence or dependency. Substance abuse also makes it difficult to receive care for mental illnesses. This is why, if you or a loved one is suffering from an addiction, seeking clinical treatment as soon as possible is critical. A friend or family member can be encouraging, but they cannot function as a personal recovery facility. 

Apart from these, symptoms like deteriorating physical well-being, living in a constant state of bereavement, no longer being interested in the hobbies you used to love, also indicate that you must take help from a professional. 

If you notice these symptoms in someone around you, it’s also worth noting that coercing someone into treatment seldom works; instead, inspiring them to want to improve is generally more efficient. Instead of shaming or guilt-tripping, get people who need help to talk about it. Make an appointment and accompany them if you think it would support them. 

If you’re still unsure whether you need therapy or not, use this brief questionnaire by Psych Central to help determine if you need to see a mental health professional.

Kritika Tomar

Delhi North '23

Kritika is a student of Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She's a sucker for pizzas and rom-coms. She loves cotton candy skies, acoustic music and cats.