sleep aid products hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sleep aid products hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith
Wellness > Health

HOW WELL DO YOU SLEEP?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Sleep is much more than just an escape, a matter of routine, or a simple moment of rest. While you’re catching Zzz’s, your body isn’t just relaxed – your cells mend, thoughts sort themselves out, and your stress takes a backseat. Being a college student, I know that a good night’s sleep is like a secret weapon that recharges my soul. Sleep can be your magical elixir too, but only if you know how to get a good one. In this article, let’s see what could be stealing your snooze and how you can make bedtime a restful superpower for both your body and mind! This piece is based on my personal experience and I acknowledge that everyone’s experiences might not be the same as mine.

Do you ever feel groggy or cranky in the morning, even after nights when you thought you got enough sleep? I used to wonder the same. Well, there’s no doubt we might get enough sleep at most times. But just ask yourself – do you get good sleep? The National Library of Medicine defines ‘good sleep’ as one when you fall asleep quite easily, don’t fully wake up during the night, do not wake up too early, and feel refreshed in the morning. Well, there can be multiple factors affecting your bedtime as indicated by research undertaken by the Mayo Clinic. These creep in like villains, curbing your sweet superhero – your sleep.

• Stress – As a report by Baylor College of Medicine suggests, for most people, worries and stress can be the night-time villains stealing away the chance to sleep in peace. Racing thoughts, endless overthinking, and undue mental hassles can be the reason why you find yourself awake at night.
  • Food Habits – The VeryWellHealth suggests that eating a larger proportion of food just before you sleep can make you physically uncomfortable while lying down. The discomfort may also keep you awake.
  • Screens – Do you know how glowing screens at night can trick your brain into thinking it’s daytime and can hinder your sleep? The Sleep Foundation even identifies screen time to be one of the most probable causes of insomnia in teenagers!
  • Poor Sleeping Environment – An uncomfortable bed, or a bedroom that’s too light, noisy, hot, or cold, can also be some of the factors stealing away your sleep.

There could be several other reasons too. Speaking from my own experience, these tend to be the usual suspects affecting good sleep.

But the good news is that there are simple and refreshing ways to reverse this and help you sleep well, making your mornings fresher and livelier! The best part? These healthy pre-sleep practices can be as refreshing as your sleep itself! There was a time when I used to struggle with bad sleep too. But you know what? I made a few tweaks to my sleep routine and it actually helped! Here are some of those tips that effectively worked for me. However, there’s no one solution to a problem and people should adopt whatever suits best for them.

• There can be nothing as calming as the bliss of a warm bath or shower before your sleep. After a tiring day of work, bathing one or two hours before bed in warm water can act as a relaxing agent for your body, calming you down to not only fall asleep easily but to also stay asleep for longer.
  • The most important part of your pre-sleep schedule should be – keeping all your electronic devices out of your bedroom for at least an hour before you have to sleep. Turn your TVs off. No devices whatsoever. If you think that’s tough and you can’t do it, just set a reminder.
  • Set the mood for your bedtime. Dim the lights, play some calming tunes, or why not even diffuse your room with some pleasant fragrance and relax?
  • Now, are you wondering what you should do in that hour before you sleep? You can read, do yoga, or listen to calming music! And if you want a way to help you get rid of your racing thoughts – grab a journal and scribble away!

And then? Just get a comfy pillow, cuddle your favorite teddy, and get ready for a good night’s sleep! :)

Arushi Sethi

Delhi North '24

Arushi Sethi is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus at Delhi North. She is a part of the Content Writing team, writing and exploring a plethora of genres in her writings for the website including lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, wellness and culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year English Literature student at Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She is currently serving as the Content Editor for Willow – the journal of The English Society of Hansraj College, and has previously served as the Editor-in-Chief for Credence Foundation, a non-profit organization. Furthermore, she is a member of the Editorial Wing of Kavyanjali – the Poetry Society of Hansraj College, and Ostraca – the Creative Writing Society. She has also written for Hans, the college magazine of Hansraj College. And with a vast experience of participating and chairing in several Model United Nations Conferences, both as a Journalist and Executive Board, she also holds a keen interest and grip over journalistic writings. Being a poet, content writer, blogger & editor, she is constantly exploring newer ways to fulfil her passion for words. For her, there is bliss in reading, writing, listening to music, singing and playing the piano.