This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Why is the sky blue? Where does the ocean end? Why is the earth round?

And what not? Curiosity is an important element of Childhood.

Every time I ask somebody, what’s the best time of their life, most people say it’s childhood, and why shouldn’t it be? When you’re a kid anything is possible. You can be a superhero, you can be a millionaire, you can be anything you want. You don’t have to filter your dreams by paychecks, practicality, or means.

Childhood is our habitat for memories, we all have memories from childhood, be they good or bad, interesting or embarrassing. In childhood, we can live carefree, fearless, and with no notion of judgment.

Purged of ego, children think little of themselves; at most they’ll brag about daddy’s muscles or mommy’s cooking. The love and care received during childhood make them develop a healthy sense of self and security, reaping lifelong benefits, hopeful and untainted by toxins of manmade divides. trusting in tomorrow while treasuring the here-and-now. Kids know how to celebrate life and love others without prejudices of class, creed, or caste. Differences don’t matter; everyone is family and friends.

From a child in us to the child in you, we recommend that you do these things this Children’s Day to let the children breathe in you again –

1. Ring a neighbour’s doorbell and run. 

It was one of the greatest evils that all of us had to do in our childhood. Let’s do it again. It was so much fun then, and it would be fun even now. It will be annoying for your neighbour, but, it is Children’s Day (duh)! Ring the doorbell of the apartment in the same corridor as yours and run! 

Tip: Do not forget to open your door before.

2. Steal a flower from someone’s garden. 

I used to steal Baby’s Breath and carry it around my hair (yeah, that sounds cute). Do it now, for yourself. Pluck a flower and run away before the gardener  catches you. And then wear them in your hair and click a selfie and don’t forget to tag us. Live a bit.

3. Make faces at someone

Make faces at someone ( no, it doesn’t make you a bad person). Every kid does it. You can do it too. Someone at your office (not your boss; precaution is better than cure) or in the neighbourhood or anyone on the bus or metro. Make eye contact with that person and suddenly, make an ugly face at him. See how he/she gets stupefied at your behaviour.

4. Smear your face with cake

Without any regrets and guilts, indulge yourself in the heaven of a creamy cake like you used to do in your childhood. Roll your tongue inside out, feel the cake (DISCLAIMER: do it at your peril).

5. Watch Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

Watching this program is a joy like no other. Known for its impeccable comic timing, Dilip Joshi alias Jethalal Champaklal Gada is a character that resonates with us all. Jethalal Champaklal Gada’s adventurous life will never let you down. And tempering of Mandar Chandwadkar aka  Aatmaram Tukaram Bhide is just awesome to follow always.

Tip: Have some popcorn,  Jethalal Champaklal Gada life is full of adventures.

Let the world call you a lunatic. Because who cares, right? Don’t just grow in numbers, gorge on everything without worrying about the waistlines. Let the bathroom echo with your beautiful voice again, and eat more for your soul and less for your waistline. In a nutshell, childhood was all about living life to the fullest filled with giggles and snuggles. Isn’t it? We shouldn’t let the enthusiasm of childhood dissolve into dilemmas of adulthood.  Cheers to the child within us!

Prerna Mishra

Delhi North '22

An average eighteen year old from Delhi pursuing Economics Hons with millennial choices and issues. Like dancing to misogynistic Ed Sheeran songs. Makes nincompoop doodles and listen to Halsey when not testing people's attributes.
Suhana Nanda

Delhi North '21

Majoring in Economics with a keen interest in public policy, writing, public speaking and gender empowerment.