This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Popular culture has always influenced almost every aspect of our lives. From what we wear, eat, buy, read, etc. This article is all about the last bit. For example, there has been a consistent rise of ‘BookTok’, a sub-community on the app TikTok that discusses books and literature. According to Reader’s Digest, “It’s no secret that TikTok has the power to skyrocket book sales, and that’s thanks to a sub-community called BookTok, which brings bibliophiles together virtually. Enthusiastic readers are flocking to the platform to discuss their favorite reads, find new (and old) authors, make relatable book content, and launch BookTok books to bestselling fame—videos with the #BookTok hashtag have racked up more than 77 billion views, according to TikTok.” To give you an idea, a book based on ice hockey got so popular that fans started to assign players of a real hockey team as the characters, and the said hockey team paid for the fans’ tickets to one of their games.

There’s power in bringing book culture to the mainstream, taking it out of a limited space and into the land of algorithms. For younger readers, BookTok also brought loving books out of the shadows of Wattpad and into the mainstream.

– The Washington Post

We have already witnessed the phenomenon with Wattpad, a free online platform that provides a space to publish original stories. The After series, Cupid’s Match, Kissing Booth Trilogy, etc., are all books on Wattpad that became a hit. Both BookTok and Wattpad have created a culture of indulging young readers. According to a research article authored by Federico Pianzola, Simone Rebora, and Gerhard Lauer, “Wattpad is an example of how the circulation of literature has changed due to digital technology, leading to a literary landscape in which the transmission of stories happens through complex sociotechnical digital networks

Due to such an overwhelming response, media houses are now picking up fan-favorite books and bringing them to our screens, be it as movies or as series. So, let’s dive into this world of literary media and take a look at some of my personal favorites!

1. The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

This book will leave you flabbergasted and will require you to re-read it in order to understand the story from its new-found perspective. The twists continue till the very end! The novel’s about a psychotherapist who tries his best to make a woman speak again. The woman in question has been silent since being accused of murder. However, this silent patient and her psychotherapist hide more than what is visible to the naked eye. The movie rights were purchased by Annapurna & Plan B. However, there have been no latest updates regarding this. I’m manifesting this one!

2. The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

Bridgerton has been a sensation for quite some time now. Ever since its release on Netflix, and even before it, this series has enthralled readers and watchers alike. Kate and Sir Anthony’s story makes us fall in love with the very idea of love. Be it the book or the series, you may consume both for some much-needed vitamin ‘we’ <3

3. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Every reader has one question- Where is JUNE? She is Alex’s older sister. To know about her, and all the things that the movie cuts out, (p.s. go sign the petition asking for the three-hour extended cut!) go read Red, White & Royal Blue. This book showcases how two boys fall in love, with all their struggles and sorrows as the US president’s son and the prince of the British Royal Family. Fret not if you have already watched the movie, the book will feel like a whole new story.

4. A Court of Thornes and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

As I currently read this one, I can attest to the fact that details and backstory will not be something you will be disappointed in. Feyre, a nineteen-year-old poor huntress, is the only one in her family who works to put food on the table. The list of events unfolds when she kills a beast in the woods. A lethal beast comes after her to seek vengeance. However, all is not what it seems. The book goes deep into the character’s lives and their motives. The history of how things came to be as they are, is explored in detail. You can also listen to the audiobook, which has background sounds in accordance with what is happening in the book. It creates an immersive experience for the listener!

5. Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkin Reid

Written by Taylor Jenkins Reid, this story delves deep into the 90s Hollywood, with its fictional characters and their stories. All the characters are well developed and the drama is unmatched. This story also sheds light on what it means to be queer as a prominent person (here, an actress in Hollywood), and how it affects one in every aspect of their life. It gives an account of one trying to hide their love in plain sight when all eyes are on them. Serving a mix of emotions, at times, you will feel heartbroken but in the end, it beautifully conveys what it means to love someone, fully and whole-heartedly. There are talks that the book will soon be turned into a series, and fans can’t wait for it to happen!

6. It Ends with Us By Colleen Hover

A book picked up to feature as a movie and canceled soon after due to fan outrage is enough to know how big & powerful its fanbase is. They were not pleased with the cast and were not shy to express it. This is a story of how a woman puts an end to generational abuse, choosing to give her child a life she couldn’t have. Albeit not perfect, its intense emotions and characters will make you believe in the story, asking you to not read but feel every chapter.

7. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

I am a high-fantasy addict, and this one hits the spot just right. All the characters, the world building, and their powers are well developed. The story is as fixating as it can be. You may even mistake Earth as fiction, and Ravka (the place where the book is set) as reality. Its spinoff is just as, if not more, exciting. Six of Crows has it all, and you will be left wanting more. Both series have been incorporated into a single series with simultaneous timelines, but to know the whole world in its entirety, go check out the books!

All these books are just starters for you to dive into this community, cause we know that once you are in, you are in for life. Go check them out and make yourself a part of this world because as the popular saying goes “I am not a reader because I don’t have a life, but because I choose to have many”.

Moksha Arrawatia

Delhi North '23

Moksha Arrawatia is an Associate Editor at Her Campus in the Delhi North chapter. Her responsibilities include editing various articles and curating posts for the Social Media section. She is particularly interested in topics related to pop culture and subjects that are relevant to students. Beyond Her Campus, Moksha is a Political Science Honors student at Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi University. She serves as the Team Lead for Project RISE IPCW, which empowers individuals with disabilities. Additionally, she volunteers with GirlUp Sheisha, a group that promotes gender equality. She has contributed articles to the college magazine and has organized several national and international events as the Joint Secretary of the Political Science department. Moksha has held various roles within Global Youth IPCW (GY), the Global Association of Economics Education IPCW (GAEE), the Translation and Translation Studies Centre (TTSC), the India-South Korea Youth Forum, GY (ISKYF), and the Sustainable Development Goals Council, GY (SDGC). When she's got some downtime, Moksha loves a good binge-watch session, getting lost in a book, or grooving to some tunes. You'll often spot her wandering around campus, on the hunt for her leisure spots. She's also into getting creative and meeting new people.