This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

During the semester, it can be difficult taking time out of your schedule to take care of your mental health and wellbeing. You may think it isn’t necessary, but in reality, sustaining yourself is the first step to becoming a better and happier you. 

Self care is so important and is easier than you may think. Small acts of kindness towards yourself add up in the long run. The different kinds of self care consist of physical self care, mental self care, emotional self care, and spiritual self care. Now, how can we put ourselves first?

1. Physical Self Care:

Taking care of your body is not talked about enough, but it should be. Your body is your fuel for the day, and it’s important that it’s nourished! Acts of physical self-care consist of getting an adequate amount of sleep, drinking enough water, eating food at the right time, and exercising. These things may seem easy on the surface. However, with a busy schedule, these simple, everyday tasks become easy to forget. Physical self-care can also consist of more fun activities, like taking a bubble bath, taking a nap, and even having a dance party in your room. 

1. Mental Self-Care

Taking care of yourself mentally is incredibly important. Stimulating your mind outside of schoolwork is vital in keeping your brain active. For instance, listening to a podcast, reading a book, and trying out a new hobby can prevent academic burnout and keep you energized. Mental self-care can also consist of taking a break from social media to decompress and unwind at the end of the night. 

1. Social Self-Care

Social self-care encompasses activities that nurture our relationships with our friends and family. For instance, during the semester, it can be difficult to remember to call your parents back at home. Talking to them on a weekly basis will remind you they are your support system and that you are not all alone. In addition, social-self care includes spending time with your friends to just unwind and relax. However, social self-care also applies to the relationships that are no longer serving you. Setting boundaries and removing yourself from toxic relationships is a very important form of social-self care. Surrounding yourself with those that love and support you is the fundamental principle of social self care.

1. Spiritual Self Care

Nurturing and engaging with your soul is a key element of self-care. Practicing gratitude every night, meditation, praying, and doing yoga are the most popular forms of spiritual self-care. Taking care of your spiritual self can also include reigniting your passion about a particular cause by volunteering for example. From personal experience, connecting with your inner self has significantly helped with moving forward each day.

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”

-Oscar Wilde

Kavya Beldona is a sophomore at University of Delaware. She is majoring in Marketing with a minor in Business Analytics and Advertising. She enjoys singing, writing, and listening to music.