This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Trying to get organized for a new semester can be a daunting task for anyone, especially if you’re on campus for the first time or still adjusting to online classes. Even as a second-semester junior, I still struggle trying to stay organized with online classes. 

1. Get a calendar or planner

It’s absolutely essential to have a good calendar, planner or even both. Personally, I use a wall calendar, a planner and my phone calendar. The way I use my system is by putting class times into my phone calendar, important assignments – like exams or projects – onto my wall calendar and all assignments into my planner – including readings, discussion posts, essays and exams. It’s very important to make sure that you find the right planner for what you need, so some trial and error is to be expected. I’ve gone through so many planners that I just didn’t like or want to use. This is why it’s also helpful to have other calendars that you can use to see your assignments. 

2. Make a master list of your assignments

Once a syllabus becomes available for one of my classes, I like to add any and all assignments into a master list. My master list includes all of my assignments for each class. Usually, I use a Google Doc or Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the assignments. I include the specific assignment, the class it is for, the type of assignment it is, the due date and whether or not I’ve completed it. Personally, I think that this is a great way to know how your semester is going to look, excluding any last minute changes from professors. Another helpful tip: if you make your list in a spreadsheet, you can upload it into Google Calendars to get a more clear view of how your weeks will look. This can be very useful when deciding when you’re going to study or work on specific assignments. 

3. Zoom links or room numbers 

I also like to create a list of all of my Zoom links so I’m not scrambling right before class. This can be really helpful for when you wake up late and only have two minutes before class. If your Zoom meetings have passwords, it’s also really helpful to write them down somewhere you can easily find them. 

For the people that actually have class on campus, it can be really helpful to have your building name and class number handy, especially during the first week of class. That way you won’t end up late or even in the wrong class. 

4. Have a dedicated workspace

Especially for people that are doing online classes, make sure that you have a dedicated space to do your work. If you’re doing online classes from home, I know it can be very difficult to stay on task and not get distracted. That’s why it’s so important to have a space where you can just do your work. After a full day of classes, you’re going to want to be done with work and relax, so it’s important to make sure that you can both physically and mentally step away from work. 

5. Have the supplies you need

If you’re like me and you prefer to take handwritten notes, make sure you have the supplies you need, i.e. your notebook, pens, pencils and highlighters. Taking notes is so important when it comes to doing well in a class. 

Also, if your professor tells you that you’re going to need a textbook or device for your class, make sure you get it and check the syllabus for when you’re going to need to bring it to class. If you only use it for a few classes, it can be helpful to include this on your calendar or in your planner. 

Hopefully these tips will help you get organized and ready for the new semester. Good luck to everyone taking classes this spring, whether they’re online or in-person. You got this!

Caitlin is a Senior at the University of Delaware. Her major is International Relations and she has minors in History, International Business, and Social Justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus you can find Caitlin running around campus (most likely with an iced coffee in hand) or with her friends.
Contributor account