Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Academics

Cures to Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Have you come to the point in the year where you can’t seem to focus on any sort of writing? Whether it’s an English paper, a script, podcast, speech, or maybe something just for fun, writer’s block is an age-old struggle for people around the world. On the bright side, there are tons of ways to cure this phenomenon. Here are some fun and simple ways to break through that wall and combat writer’s block.

CHANGE UP YOUR LOCATION

If you tend to stick at the same place all day, it can create a sense of boredom. Looking at the same four walls all day isn’t very influential. Getting out and changing your location will offer you a fresh start and perhaps inspire new ideas. Below are a few examples of places you can go to while experiencing writer’s block:

• The Park
  • Library
  • A Coffee Shop
  • A Friend’s House

Set a time to write

Sitting down and just writing whatever comes to mind can sometimes be the best cure to writer’s block. Perhaps you feel most creative at the end of the day rather than at the beginning of it. experiment with that. In addition, setting deadlines for yourself can also spawn inspiration as it forces you to work even when you don’t really want to.

Write about something you love

It’s sometimes very difficult to come up with a topic for any type of writing assignment, however, by selecting something that you are passionate about it’s much easier for ideas to flow. If you’re passionate about something, just go for it! Even if you seem to have writer’s block while talking about something you love, just write what’s in your head. Something is bound to come out.

Listen to music

Play your favorite song as you write. Music, especially your favorite, invokes all different kinds of emotions and boosts your creativity. The goal of writing is to say something meaningful and the same goes for music. Therefore, the basic act of just listening to it can allow you to relax as the ideas come to you.

Take a break

If you are really stuck and nothing seems to be working, don’t be ashamed to take a break. Sitting and staring at your laptop screen isn’t going to solve anything. Start working on something else, talk to a friend, go on a walk, sleep on it, sometimes the simplest of things spark creativity. Taking time to refresh can do wonders for your writing!

Don’t be ashamed of your writer’s block, acknowledging that you’re struggling is half the battle. It has nothing to do with skillset or talent either, everyone suffers from this issue from time to time. However, there are always ways to overcome it. After all writer’s block isn’t going anywhere unless you do something.

Meghan Siano

Delaware '25

Meghan is a freshman media communications major with a minor in journalism. Besides writing, she loves to sing, dance, and act. She hopes to continue these passions in the future.