This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

If you are anything like me, you sometimes struggle with insecurity and a lack of confidence. I’m here to tell you that it’s normal and okay, because it’s not going to go away overnight. I’ve been practicing a couple of tips to help me improve myself and help me combat those problems. Here are three tips on how to become more self-confident. 

1. Limit your use of social media. 

If you are anything like me, you can get lost in all the chaos we call social media. On Instagram, I would see influencers living the glamorous lives we all dream of and models with ideal bodies. When I first downloaded Tik Tok and would scroll through, I would get diet, workout and supplement videos at the beginning of quarantine. I would often look at myself in the mirror and think, am I good enough? Am I where I want to be in life? Are we bringing back the early-2000s thin physique? I realized that exposing myself to those videos was just toxic for my mental health. Social media can do good, but it can also do damage. Social media can affect your time management, your sleep schedule and even your confidence level. At the end of the day, most of what you see on social media is edited, and trying to compare yourself to someone else is unproductive. You are beautiful, you are working hard to get to where you need to be and you will achieve your goals. 

2. Keep a journal.

Keeping a journal is a perfect way to boost your confidence. You can not only jot down what your strengths and weaknesses are, but you can also list how you can improve your weaknesses. You can even write down ten quotes and explain how they are an inspiration to you. Another thing you can do with your journal is keep track of any compliments that were given to you, and look back at them for reference. When I say keep track of compliments, I’m not just talking about compliments from boys. I mean compliments as far as positive things that are said, whether they be from professors, employers, family or even friends. A compliment can go a long way, and if you write it down, you’ll never forget it. It’s a simple way to make you smile. 

3. Dress to impress.

First impressions matter. So why not dress up to make yourself look and feel good? Dressing up is an automatic confidence booster. You are representing yourself and your personal brand. What is a personal brand? A personal brand is what people perceive about you before they even meet you. Although your appearance may be a small section of personal branding, presenting yourself in a nice manner and dressing up can help you go a long way. 

I hope that these tips are helpful, and remember that you can always adjust to what works for you. If you feel inspired through working out, reading self-improvement books or watching movies to help with self-confidence, that is fine. Embrace who you are, and figure what works for you. 

I'm from Bristol, PA and I'm a junior at the University of Delaware. My major is political science with a minor in legal studies. I enjoy traveling, listening to music, and cooking.
Contributor account