This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Students have hectic lifestyles. Because of this “always-on-the-go” lifestyle, a lot of us get under-eye bags. If you suffer from under-eye bags that you can’t get rid of, keep reading, as I am about to spill the tea (bags) and tell you 6 ways that can help you reduce them.

Get a full night sleep

One of the easiest ways to banish under-eye bags is getting a full night sleep (yes, the full 8 hours!). When we sleep our body is resting stress-free, reducing our cortisol levels, which prevents under-eye bags. 

According to The Mayo Clinic, sleeping with your head raised (with an extra pillow) can also help, as it prevents fluid accumulating around our eyes. The skin around our eyes is thin, so it shows signs of ageing and fluid accumulation better than other places in our body.

Use a cool compress

This is one of the most well-known methods to reduce under-eye bags. All you need to do is wet a clean cloth with cool water and place it over your eyes using mild pressure for a few minutes. Putting something cold on your eyes is essential for tightening up eye bags – you can even try cucumber slices! Using a damp tea bag is also said to be beneficial, as adding caffeine along with the cold temperature helps to constrict the blood vessels which can decrease puffiness. 

Therefore you should always put your eye creams and serums in the fridge, as when applied cold they work better to reduce puffiness and under-eye bags. 

Remove your makeup before bed

I know it can be difficult to get up and do it sometimes, but removing makeup is very important. If you leave your makeup on overnight, it can cause breakouts and puffiness. Use micellar water to remove your makeup, as not only is it gentle on the skin but it is also more sustainable than face wipes.

Use eye creams containing specific ingredients that target under-eye bags, and pair this with a Jade Roller or a Gua Sha!

Using eye creams are important in any skin routine, and it’s best to start using it sooner to maintain a youthful face. According to Vogue, Creams and serums containing ingredients such as Tetrapeptide-5 and Heparin Sulfate are said to be the best to reduce puffiness while also hydrating and moisturising the area. Other key ingredients to look out for are Caffeine (my personal favourite is The Ordinary Caffeine Eye Serum), cacao extract and Vitamin K.

Lymphatic Drainage with a tool such as a Jade Roller or a Gua Sha can be very helpful in your quest to remove under-eye bags. For a Gua Sha, massage the lower lid in an upward and outward movement to promote lymphatic movement.

For the Jade Roller, the correct way to use it is to gently roll towards the nose, not away from it as many do. 

For an increased benefit whether you are using the Jade Roller or the Gua Sha, consider putting them in the fridge first and using an eye serum or eye gel to reduce unintentional friction while using, and therefore reducing swelling and eye bags.

Protect your eyes from the sun

We know that wearing sunscreen is very important for our skin, but so is wearing sunglasses to protect our eyes from harmful UV rays. According to Vogue, UV Rays can age skin faster causing wrinkles and ageing, as the sun breaks down collagen and elastin which leads to under-eye bags and sagging, puffy skin. You should also try to find a good eye cream that is formulated with SPF.

Stay Hydrated

Drinking more water can enhance blood circulation, removing excess fluid from under our eyes, which is important as fluid retention and dehydration can often be the causes of Under-eye puffiness and bags. I would personally recommend investing in a water bottle with time stamps on the side, as when you’re drinking water and can see that you are on schedule it can give a great sense of achievement. 

So, go forth and try these methods out. If these don’t work, it may be worth heading to your doctor as sometimes allergies or underlying health conditions can be to blame. Remember, there is nothing wrong with using concealer or colour corrector to hide under-eye bags! You’re gorgeous either way.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!