This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We’ve all been there – your hair is a mess, you’ve cracked your phone screen, your friends aren’t answering your texts, you can’t figure out how to start your assignment and of course you have a pounding headache that just won’t go away. In short , you’re having a bad day. 

And that’s just the surface level stuff. Not to mention all of the deeper rooted fears, insecurities and traumas that are constantly going on in the background. Most days, we’re able to push past the negativity, focus on the good things and look on the bright side but some days you just can’t. Honestly, that’s So Freaking. Normal. No-one is 100% all the time. If you think they are, I promise you, that just means they’re good at hiding it. 

But, what do you do when the day just isn’t going your way. Well, firstly, chill babes. These things happen to literally every single person on the planet. On your bad days, it can be hard to realise this but I promise, you’re not alone.

Deep-Breathing

I recommend taking a breath. Or a couple if you can. A short meditation will do you wonders,  I know sometimes it can be tricky to get yourself in that headspace but if you can set aside even 30 seconds to do some deep breathing, it may make things a little easier. 

Rest

The next thing I would suggest doing is resting. I am a big fan of naps and resting your body and your mind can give you the rest that you clearly need. Even 15/20 minutes or lying down or sitting and relaxing, can help calm your nervous system and make things seem less intense. 

Let Go of Your Feelings

It’s important to get your feelings out of your head and stop them spiralling. Whether it’s talking to someone you trust or writing it down, just get them out of the tangled web of your mind – it takes their power away. 

Be Kind To Yourself

Be kind to yourself. Put on your cosiest pjs, make yourself a nice cup of tea, eat the chocolate, light a candle, put on your favourite Netflix show and speak kindly to yourself. You are always worthy of love, self – love most of all. 

The truth is, sometimes, you just need to let it be. You’re feeling this way for a reason so listen to your body – we have a wide range of emotions for a reason and even though some are more uncomfortable than others, it doesn’t mean that they’re not valid and useful. It just means you’re having a bad day. So what? You can get through it and tomorrow is a new day. 

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!