Hero Images with HC Branding 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It Means To Be A Woman In STEM In Ireland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

STEM –  Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. 

Seems pretty straightforward, right? Not for us women and girls. 

Being a woman in STEM is empowering, ambitious and encouraging. Feb. 11 is the International Day of Women and Girls in STEM. It’s a day that represents power and shows the significance for women and girls in STEM to influence the world around us. Recruitment, retainment policies and availability are only some of the aspects that need focus. These issues haven’t just appeared out of the blue but with our education system. 

Women in STEM Summit 2024 in association with Fidelity Investments is an event that takes place on March 13 in Croke Park. This event dives deep into the discussion on the shortage of women and girls in STEM and the approaches and agendas to take in order to make the STEM industries more attractive. 

“One of the government’s key considerations is to target females with long-term recruitment and retainment policies with a view to making STEM industries more attractive.” Says WomenInStem.ie

The importance of having equal opportunities and access to subjects in single-sex schools plays a vital role in inequality. Engineering applied math and construction studies are only some of the subjects not offered in all-girls schools across the country. Only 10pc of all-girls schools offer STEM subjects in Ireland. The global average percentage of female researchers is 33.3% according to UNESCO. 

A disappointing figure, but not surprising. 

Choices and encouragement are part of the battle to destroy the inequality for women in STEM. Although the figures are increasing every year, it is at a slow incline. 

Grant schemes are available and are in place by the government “to allow schools to assess the current STEM programmes and resources available in their schools, to enhance their current STEM learning opportunities, to re-establish STEM activities and/or to begin STEM activities or learning opportunities not previously available in the school.” Says Gov.ie  Each primary and post-primary school are entitled to apply for a grant of up to €10,000 within the Free Education Scheme. 

DCU’s School of STEM, Education, Innovation, and Global Studies is consistently contributing to a “diverse range of taught and research programmes. The school provides and encourages opportunities for students to adapt a global and social perspective on issues related to their studies.” According to DCU. 

Recognising the importance of having more women involved in STEM areas is one thing, trying to implement measures to meet the needs is another. That is the importance of Feb. 11. “It reflects an ambitious global action agenda and serves as a roadmap for women’s health and development.” Says womeninscienceday.org. Katherine Johnson, a NASA Space Scientist is only one example of a woman in STEM who reflects the importance of having diversity in the fields. 

This doesn’t mean you need to become a famous woman in STEM to make a difference but to open up the potential of science when you do make a difference.

My name is Leah and I'm 20 years old. I am in my second year of journalism. I love all things journalism, both the serious side and the fun side, including well-being, lifestyle and culture.