This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

‘Diet’ – it’s a word we hear all too often but what does it actually mean? Unfortunately, in our current society, this word is shoved down our throats from the time we are too young to even fully comprehend it. 

Despite popular belief, the word ‘diet’ is derived from the Latin word diatia or diatian. When translated in English, it actually means ‘ way of living’. 

As it is a noun, the phrase ‘going on a diet’ makes about as much sense as ‘going on a Dublin’ or ‘going on a water bottle’. It refers to all the ways we live as advised by a physician. This could be food, but also sleep, showering and toilet routines. 

I don’t know about you, but I really don’t think the ‘toilet going industry has the scope to earn north of three billion dollars a year. (Yes, this is what the diet industry was worth in 2017). 

Half of the world is starving and the other half starving themselves. How did we get it so wrong? 

Nevertheless, this word ‘diet’ has come to mean what we eat and more specifically, what we eat (and don’t eat) in order to lose weight. Some of the most popular diets (that aren’t like other diets!) include Noom (I am so confused by this ‘diet’ name), Keto, Paleo, and selective food restrictive diets such as ‘gluten–free’ (if you’re not a coeliac). Vegetarianism and veganism aren’t classed as ‘diets’ as the main goal is morality as opposed to a smaller dress size. 

Most of these weight-loss diets have one common principle – they cut out one or more of the food groups that we need to survive. 

So let’s dive into these food groups; 

Carbohydrates are any large group of organic compounds occurring in foods and living tissue including starch, cellulose and sugar. Refined carbohydrates include bread, potatoes, pasta, chips and crisps. However, and probably not as well known, carbohydrates also include vegetables and fruits. So if you ever hear of a ‘carb- free’ diet or ‘restricting your carbs’ – run a mile and eat your veggies! A balanced, carb-free diet CANNOT exist. 

Protein is any class of nitrogenous organic compounds that have molecules arranged in a long chain of amino acids (thank you, Leaving Cert Home Ec!). Protein can be in the form of meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, beans, peas and lentils. Protein is needed to build muscle, hair, nails, hormones and enzymes in the body a.k.a it is vital! Never cut protein out of your diet. 

Fats are labelled as the enemy of society. Why? Fats do have a higher caloric value than carbs or protein (9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram) but they are just as vital in the body. Trans fat are manufactured and not naturally occurring in foods (sorry chocolate), however, cis fats come in the form of oils, nuts, seeds and avocados and are super important in the body.

All in all, you can’t have a BALANCED diet by cutting out certain food groups. My advice is everything in moderation – including moderation. Have fun with food and don’t overthink it! Life is too short to be scared of butter! 

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!