Wellness

‘As we walk with the intention of peace…’ – the unknown benefits of meditating while you walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Although the benefits of mindfulness and meditation are known far and wide, something I had never considered was the idea of ‘mindful walking’. So, this week, I challenged myself to swap my usual podcast for a guided meditation. Here’s how it went… 

One of the main challenges I had was slowing down my walking pace. Slowing it right down to the point where I felt like if I went slower, I would come to a complete stop. I’m convinced that anyone who saw me would have thought me lost or confused or both. Although it was uncomfortable at first, I began to enjoy it as time went on. Slowly down physically allowed me to slow down mentally. 

The guided meditation focused on breathing and listening to the breath. In and out, in and out. Slowing it down and allowing it to sink in. Inhaling the fresh spring air and exhaling those negative vibes. Being grateful for my breath, my body, my belonging. 

Some of the phrases that the guiding voice used really resonated with me. One in particular was,  ‘Not walking to reach a goal but walking to be with yourself’. I think, especially in our society, we place too much emphasis on constantly being busy, constantly achieving, constantly succeeding. But sometimes, it’s important to take a step back and let it go. Just be with ourselves, by ourselves, for ourselves. 

Another phrase that stuck with me was ‘as we walk with the intention of peace’. Walking purely for relaxation, purely for ourselves, purely for peace. It is the deepest form of self-care and self-love. The best way to help us is to appreciate the world we live in. Bringing harmony into the outer world and manifesting in our inner world.  

If you don’t believe us, then believe the science. According to an article in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, people who participated in walking meditations three times a week for twelve weeks, showed a significantly decrease in depression and anxiety. So really, what have you got to lose? 

Now don’t get it twisted… we are all college students, in the middle of a pandemic, studying from home and just trying to make it from one end of the day to the other. I’m not saying that mindful walking will fix all of your problems and suddenly make everything seem great. If only it was that simple. But what it will do is give you time to stop and space to breath and allow you to walk with the intention of peace, serenity, and self-love.

Meadhbh is currently studying to become a primary school teacher in DCU. She's started her first year of university online during the pandemic. Before attending DCU, Meadhbh studied Dance at Inchicore College of Future Education and now holds a Level 5 QQI in Dance. She is a part-time dance teacher and full-time dance enthusiast. Meadhbh is very excited to be writing for HerCampusDCU this year!
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!