Top Tips For Keeping Mentally Tip Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Nobody is perfect. Bet you’ve never heard that one before? Yes, there are times when everything seems to get a bit much. Even ‘Perfect Polly’ in your course with the fabulous hair and constantly maintained manicure sometimes feels that she cannot cope with her daily life. We all sometimes feel that the weight of the world is getting us down. Here are some simple ways of giving your mood a little boost to get through that tough day. 

1 – Always know this isn’t forever. We have reached a point in our lives where we realise that nothing stays the same and, guess what? That’s okay. Whether it’s perfect or pants, it will change. Silver linings scatter all of our horizons, it’s just about focusing on the fact that they exist and the fact that their arrival in our lives in inevitable. Use the power of your mind. 

2 – For those times that your mind isn’t strong enough, borrow someone else’s. She’s strong, independent, intelligent, positive and fabulous. Whether these adjectives conjure up an image of your best friend, sister, mum, aunty, counsellor or cousin, get in touch with her. If she knows what to say, she can help you through this day. Pick up the phone and give her a call, people are always more willing to help than you think.  

– With a little refresh of your mind taken care of, how about a body boost. Your diet and the physical maintenance of your body plays a vital role in the general upkeep of your mental health. My favourite body boosting smoothie recipe includes only 6 ingredients and will leave you feeling refreshed and revitalised!  

Link here : http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6199/Super-Brain-Smoothie.html  

Your physical activity is very important! Whether you throw in the head phones and hit the treadmill or call up that neighbour gal pal and head to the park for a walk and chat, you will not believe the impact of a bit of exercise. For the more indoor types, I would recommend a Youtube yoga tutorial, they vary in time and difficulty so it’s easy to find one that suits your availability and ability. Here’s one of my favourites; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE  

Though anything by “Yoga with Adriene” on Youtube is great!  

We are never alone in our worries about what lies ahead. We are never judged for not smiling every day. We should never hold in what can be helped once let out. We can make a change for the mental health of ourselves and all those around us. So, always remember if we think well, eat well and live well we can be well.   

Photo and Thumbnail by Daria Nepriakhina

20 year old student of Communication Studies. Grew up mostly on the South coast of England and moved to Ireland at fifteen.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.