This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

One of the biggest problems with alcohol is that it is so deeply embedded into our everyday lives, especially in college. Avoiding it is difficult but my best friend Hugh Farrell, a final year journalism student decided to attempt the Sober October challenge last month. 

Hugh is the Deputy Sports Editor of The College View and the only man who can grow a decent beard on campus. He can normally be found in Nubar’s smoking area doing what he does best, rolling rollies.

“I started Sober October with friends from home but by the second weekend they gave up. I just kept going because I’m too stubborn to give up to be honest.” he said.

“Going out with friends all the time definitely made it much harder. I didn’t want to be antisocial, staying at home all the time but being the only sober one in Coppers is not something I recommend.”

“I was constantly tempted to have a drink, especially when a friend’s 21st came up, but I just thought it would be bad if I couldn’t even go a month without drinking. I mean sounds easy but as a student there’s always something going on.”

His best friend Eoin Harte stated, “Yeah I’m relatively proud. The thing about Hugh is he’s really good at not doing anything so he was always going to be able to not drink for the month.”

Meanwhile Gabija Gataveckaite said, “To be honest, Hugh was one of the last people I would expect to have done something like sober October. While he doesn’t have a problem with alcohol, staying off it for an entire month while in college is definitely a difficult task, and I felt really bad for him when he would go on nights out, be surrounded by alcohol and by people who had been drinking, but he went out and enjoyed himself regardless and stayed strong; that’s something I really admire. Hugh stands his ground and he has shown that he is very strong willed and capable; I think that’s very admirable.”

The Benefits of Sober October

New energy boost

Without alcohol in your system, you’ll soon start to feel an energy boost – this is a great time to start exercising and get organised.

Improved sleep quality

Alcohol disrupts both REM sleep, which helps us learn and remember and slow wave sleep, which keeps looking and feeling fresh.

Better looking skin

Alcohol can deplete those vitamins and minerals that help our skin look plump, healthy and glowing. It’s also causes dehydration which makes your skin look dull, lifeless and dark circles under the eyes. Within just a few days of going alcohol free, your skin will look more radiant.

Healthier body and bank balance

Drinking is expensive and buying your ‘round’ is important and that soon adds up. With its high sugar intake and empty calories, it also makes us more hungry, meaning we’re inclined to spend money on a dirty chipper/ Dominoes after a night out to satisfy those cravings, which does impact the wallet.

If you are inspired by Mr. Hugh Farrell and want to complete a challenge like this, Dry January is only a few months away.

My name is Amy and I'm a journalism student in Dublin City University. I'm from a wee town called Cootehill in County Cavan. My interests include health, welfare, the environment and pop culture. I'm a flawed human with a great sense of humour! 
DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.