Wellness > Health

Sleep Schedules and Social Distancing: How the Pandemic is Affecting our Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

You’ve tossed and turned all night, finally gotten asleep only to be greeted by the triggering noise that is your alarm. You peel yourself out of bed and immediately begin the search for caffeine, dreaming about when you can cocoon amongst your duvet covers once again. Sound familiar? 

A bad night’s sleep can affect our concentration, leaving us feeling drained and irritable. Getting your eight hours can have you up, dressed and ready to go well before your alarm even has a chance to set off. A decent sleep is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, just as important as regular exercise or a balanced diet. 

Many things can contribute to having a terrible sleep. These issues can be physical or mental health related, too much caffeine, not enough exercise and even from certain medications like the contraceptive pill. However, this year saw sleep issues being caused by other factors- Coronavirus and Lockdown. The consequences of the virus have spread worldwide, and now pose a threat to peaceful dreamers. 

The global pandemic has not only affected socialisation, businesses and life as we know it; it has also had a massive influence on our sleeping habits. While some people experienced difficulty with sleeping in a pre-pandemic world, (remember that?) more and more people have been experiencing sleeping issues. Social distancing, self-isolation, quarantine, working from home and Zoom University have all impacted people’s daily routines. 

This lack of routine has affected our sleep as well as our normal lives, and it can be really hard to readapt to this new form of life. Time just doesn’t seem to exist in Lockdown, the days all blend into one. Simple tasks that told us the time of day like the morning commute or Friday night drinks are gone; resorting us back to prehistoric times of checking an analogue clock.

These dark Winter days and lack of daylight can have an effect on our light-based cues that trigger wakefulness and sleep, this is known as zeitgebers which are key for our bodyclock and maintaining a routine. (The Sleep Foundation) With lack of activity and being stuck at home, the idea of a midday nap or having a lie on seems only right. However, oversleeping can make us just as tired as not getting enough sleep. According to The Sleep Foundation sleeping more than eight hours can make waking up more difficult. Oversleepers are more likely to feel irritable and be unfocused throughout the day.

Here are a few tips and tricks outlined by the HSE that will hopefully help you achieve a better night’s sleep. Keep active, regular activity like a short walk or a workout can increase tiredness, but try avoid this closer to bedtime. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and high sugar foods in the evenings, most people forget that tea has caffeine! Stick to a routine, try getting to sleep and waking up at roughly the same time everyday. Avoid naps during the day and save your sleepiness for nightime. 

Relaxing is crucial. There are many ways to help us wind down in the evening. Journaling can be a great way to express any emotions and thoughts from the day and free your head. If something is troubling you, try talking with someone you trust. Put down your phone and try focusing on something more relaxing like a bubble bath, reading, listening to music or yoga.

Whether you’re sleeping the day away or the night before, a good night’s sleep is crucial to make tomorrow a better day!

Final year Communications Studies student at DCU.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!