This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

We all experience stress, anxiety, mood swings or particularly bad days in our lives. This can be because of our relationships, our never-ending to do lists or maybe just a particularly bad day where everything goes wrong. Most of the time, we can bounce back from whatever is getting us down. But what if that does not work?    

With that in mind, here are some signs you should think about going to counselling.

When our mental health gets low, everyday tasks can become challenges. You may find it hard to go outside for a walk or have a shower. Often when we are experiencing difficulties in our mind, it makes everything else seem a little bit more difficult than usual. 

Everyone has their own hobbies and interests that bring joy to their life. This can be anything from playing video games to making Tik Tok videos. However, if you find that the things you enjoy doing seem more like a chore than a fun way to pass time, it may be a sign of mental health difficulties. 

Throughout the pandemic, it has been common for people to feel down and lonely due to the world being turned completely upside down. Feeling sad is a normal emotion and a part of life. If you are feeling sadder or upset than usual, it may be a sign to talk to someone.

Where can I turn to for help?

There are several services and supports available out there to ease yourself into therapy.  One great example is the Irish charity Turn2Me. This website offers lots of self-help articles, podcasts and even a mood diary to track your thoughts. It offers up to eight free counselling sessions with a trained therapist. 

Your college can also be a great source of information for minding your mental health. In DCU, there are free self-help guides available on the college website. These guides cover everything from dealing with grief to how to talk to someone about how you feel. 

DCU also offers free counselling sessions to each student. These sessions can be booked online and accessed through video chat. If you don’t feel comfortable attending from home, you can visit the campus and speak to a counsellor through video chat from a separate room. 

Dean O Reilly, DCU Vice President for Welfare and Equality has been a long-time supporter of the services available to students. He was behind the idea of a Physical and Mental Wellbeing week in DCU, which saw several online seminars and classes being held online. 

‘’It is so important to show students the support we have and how great they can be. With lockdown and not seeing friends regularly, it can be a lot easier to feel isolated. You are never alone. There is always someone to chat to, whether it is down the hall or online.’’

Ciara*, a second-year student has used the counselling sessions in DCU and found them to be very helpful. 

‘’I was so nervous going to counselling as it was my first time, but I knew it would help me in the long run. I could not put on a brave face anymore. All the counsellors were so supportive and made me feel at ease right away.  I will always be so grateful to them and the skills they taught me.

The first step to going to counselling is the hardest, but inevitably the bravest one you will take. so, go you!

It’s okay to admit we need an extra bit of support. In fact, seeking support is a sign of strength. It is a start to get you and your mindset heading in the right direction. No one ever said we had to go through life and all its battles alone.    

If you would feel more comfortable speaking with a national counselling service, you can get in touch with any of the services listed below.

You can contact a trained volunteer by texting HELLO to 50808.Call Samaritans – 116 123 or Text 087 2609 090. All calls and messages are free and are provided through a 24-hour service.

Pieta House provides a free, therapeutic approach to people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm. You can phone 1800 247 247 or text HELP to 51444.

Aspiring writer/journalist/human from county Wexford. Lover of sports, Spotify and stupendous amounts of tea x
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!