This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

“It’s like my soul isn’t in my body for a period of time” noted a DCU student that wished to stay anonymous. According to the definition given by the Mayo Clinic, dissociation or depersonalisation disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you’re observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren’t real or both. 

Many people can experience this at one point in their life but it can most commonly occur after a traumatic event.

The difference between the two is that dissociation relates to the feeling of being detached from your environment as opposed to depersonalisation, feeling detached from yourself. In the moment, you could experience one or both without realising what is happening. 

The expression “going crazy” often gets thrown around as your mind becomes preoccupied with trying to return to normality by distinguishing what is real and what is an illusion. 

Severe stress, depression or anxiety can be the main triggers. Here is what a DCU student who had experienced depersonalisation had to say about recognising her disorder: 

“I started off feeling like not myself. College and my part-time job were causing me to become burnt out and I slowly felt like I was watching my life unfold from an outsider’s perspective. I had always been a very outgoing and chatty person but I was under so much stress, I started to crumble and lose my sense of purpose.” 

When a person experiences dissociation, the world is often perceived as if there is a veil or sheet of glass between them. Your senses could be distorted and time may feel like it is slowing down or speeding up. 

Dissociation-depersonalisation can impact your work-life balance and the relationship you have with both yourself and others. Episodes can last from a couple hours to a few months depending on the severity of stress you are exposed to. 

If you are experiencing this disorder for a prolonged period of time, it is always advised to reach out to a medical professional. With this disorder it may be difficult to properly articulate your emotions due to its nature. Remember that is completely okay and expected! 

Talking to a family member or friend that knows you well may be also helpful. DCU also provides free counselling sessions to each student. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with a national counselling service, you can get in touch with any of the services listed below.

You can contact a trained volunteer by texting HELLO to 50808.Call Samaritans – 116 123 or Text 087 2609 090. All calls and messages are free and are provided through a 24-hour service.

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!