This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard has been on everyone’s lips for almost 10 years with its popularity standing in the ethical controversy of the crime she committed. 

TV shows, true-crime podcasts and many social media posts have been sharing Blanchard’s story, From the abuse she suffered to living with her mother Dee Dee Blanchard to the plotting of her murder in 2015. 

Gypsy Rose’s mother obliged her to use a wheelchair. She convinced everyone, including Gypsy herself, that her daughter suffered from several grave illnesses. She prevented Gypsy from living a normal life, all while profiting from a series of social benefits – from the economic ones to the “angel mother” title she was crowned with.  

Although Gypsy Rose Blanchard was convicted of second-degree murder for the killing of her mother, many have been loyal supporters after discovering her story, the abuse her mother inflicted on her and the situations she was forced to live in. 

The 32-year-old is today benefiting from a great wave of success following her recent release from prison, with her new book Released: Conversations on the Eve of Freedom, telling her story through interviews she was part of while in prison and personal storytelling. 

When Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s first Instagram post appeared on her feed the day after she was released from prison, her comment section could not be more conflicting. It seems that Blanchard is branding her image in a very modern fashion, trying to be perceived in a positive and glamorous way with her first “Selfie of Freedom” portraying her posing with a big smile. Her social media bloomed after this first selfie, with photos of her travels, her husband and self-promotion. In this way, Blanchard doesn’t seem to be different from any other influencer, but the crime she committed is still the very reason why many people are not supporting this newfound celebrity of Gypsy Rose.

Some seem to think that she deserves a life of glamour since so much of her childhood and early teen years were jeopardised by her mother. They point out how the burden of her past should be taken into account and how the murder she committed should not matter anymore since she has been freed from jail.

Some supporters sincerely see her as a victim and empathise with her story, but I believe many are just fascinated by the crime she committed. It can’t be ignored just how much true crime’s popularity might explain the influence characters such as Gypsy Rose have on today’s society. Part of the affection people feel towards Gypsy Rose Blanchard could be due to a fascination with criminals and, maybe for some, with their success in escaping consequences. 

Nevertheless, I have no doubt that others scrunch their noses at the felon’s popularity and criticise her quickly-found charm and propension towards social media and the creation of a narrative that sees her as a fan favourite, a celebrity, someone to root for. 

Journalism student at DCU