rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Gymshark Takes a Bite into Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

GymShark is more than a logoit’s medicine 

Society perceives people that weight-lift to be obsessed with the exterior.  

If someone is sporting a GymShark athletic wear, the immediate thought is how addicted they must be to fitness – in fact, some assume wearing GymShark is a symbol of status and higher knowledge of training regimens and diet plans.  

But ask the 16-to-25 year olds that actually purchase GymShark athletic wear, and they will advocate the comfort, high quality, and sleek design of the UK based collection 

Despite the rational reasons behind wearing GymShark clothes, society still finds a way to critique weightlifters on their physique, particularly on women.  

This stigma that women shouldn’t be ‘muscular’ or shouldn’t lift because they will look ‘manly’ is a traditional mentality that sets women back to a time where it was okay to see females as sexual objects.  

Society needs to open their eyes to understand weightlifting isn’t only about the exterior; it’s much more about how it makes someone feel.  

Weightlifting is therapeutic; it helps thousands of people battle anxiety, cope with depression, relieve stress; it’s a form of self-care. The amount of internal focus and discipline it takes to endure strength training isn’t discussed enough.  

Thousands of young women have testified to how GymShark has motivated them to improve themselves, physically – and most importantly – mentally. Their fitness culture has moulded a safe haven for people struggling with mental health; practising an active lifestyle involves connection, being present with yourself and this vigorous shift within.    

GymShark ambassadors even had firsthand experience battling mental health issues.  

Robin Gallant, past science and engineering student, used strength training to battle anxiety.  

Maryana Dvorska had an eating disorder and Whitney Simmons, known for her charisma and outgoing personality, was depressed. Both ladies used weightlifting to help find inner peace with themselves.  

These powerful women are only a few of the many inspirational international ambassadors in the GymShark family 

Karina Elle, GymShark Athlete and Instagram Superstar, puts it best:  

“I’ve used fitness as an outlet. It’s when I feel most alive, most myself, and most at peace. Train hard to let go of what’s weighing you down, or to bring you even more joy on your best days.” 

Every day, women are breaking through the barrier of the ‘intimidating’ weight training zone usually full of men – all determined to chase the same goal for physical and mental happiness.  

Next time you see someone take a photo with the intention to broadcast their physique, or specifically the outcome of their fitness journey, don’t critique their exterior. 

You don’t know their story or understand how meaningful their relationship is to the gym.  

Try and appreciate the fact they had the courage to put their body something that is constantly stigmatised, judged and torn apart by other people’s unreachable standards – out there for everyone to see; 

Embracing vulnerability and sacrificing security to share pride and self-love with the online world is a brave act.  

?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia
DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.