The Department of Education to invest €24 million into the building of a new STEM hub in DCU.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The Department of Education have pledged to invest €24 million into the building of a new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematic) hub in DCU. 

The new hub is to be named Futuretech, and is to allow DCU to intake another 3,000 additional STEM students.  

DCU President, Prof. Brian MacCraith, has welcomed the announcement from the government, stating that the new hub will “enable DCU to play a key role in addressing Ireland’s growing demand for high-quality STEM graduates.” 

“This welcome development will significantly enhance the learning experiences and opportunities for thousands of students pursuing STEM-related careers” He continued.  

The project will cost €50 million in total with construction to begin shortly on a 0.75 acre short situated by the main entrance of DCU’s Glasnevin campus.  

Another €26 million has also been provided by the European Investment Bank loan finance and philanthropy. 

Construction of the building is estimated to take up to 18-24 months in total. Student intake is expected for 2021.  

Future-tech is to host degree programmes in areas including data science, internet of things, and sports science and technology. MacCraith also expects that the new structure “will also serve as a beacon for collaboration with the local, regional and national economy.” 

The building is a key component of DCU’s €230 million Campus Development Plan (2016-2020) which has seen the construction of the new student hub on the Glasnevin campus and Block F on St. Patrick’s campus. More student residence is also expected to be built.  

HERCampus News Editor
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!