This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Welcome to the new HerCampus series – DCU Chair Ladies!

DCU is filled with amazing and talented ladies, and we here at Her Campus HQ, thought why not interview the empowering women who run some of the top societies on Campus. We want to know their view on what society and college life means to them. 

First up – Our GirlBoss crush and inspo – Ms Niamh Dunne, Chairperson of HerCampus DCU.  

Niamh is a final year Media Studies and Politics student. Her main interests are no surprise at all journalism, politics, current affairs and to throw a curve ball in there a bit of fashion and film. Being in final year means for Niamh means thinking about life post DCU, which is something no final student wants to think about at all! Niamh hopes to do a Masters in Radio and TV Broadcast Production in IADT. She has been looking at this course ever since first year and it’s the dream post grad!

For those who don’t know out there, Her Campus is the number one media brand to empower the female college student. Our focus is the online magazine, where our members can essentially write anything they are passionate about. Whether it is news, mental health, politics, travel, lifestyle you can write about it!

1. What made you initially join the society you are now running?

I was halfway through first year and I was at that stage in college where I wasn’t sure what I was doing with my college degree. I had seriously questioned if this was the right course for me, should I drop out and do another course but low and behold Her Campus came about. When I first contacted Rachael and Megan, who were the Campus Correspondents at the time, they were so welcoming and helpful with any article ideas I had. From that point on, I started writing articles on a weekly basis about topics I was passionate about. It was place for me to have my voice heard and create the kind of content I wanted to create.

2. Name three people who inspire you daily?

Samantha Barry – Editor in Chief at Glamour magazine. To see an Irish woman and a DCU graduate succeeded to one other the biggest magazines in the world and make such innovative changes is incredible.

A bit of a cliché I know, but my Mam is such inspiration to me. The woman is an absolute machine and is constantly on the go. She is always doing something for others and never herself. That level of selflessness and compassion is something I try to aspire to everyday.

Mary Robinson the first female President of Ireland. This woman is not only a national treasure but a true feminist icon and an advocate for climate change. Mary Robinson is a powerhouse of a woman and is a true inspiration.

3. What are the rays of sunshine and the clouds of rain aspects of charing a society?

Seeing an event or idea that you have worked on with the committee come through and become a success is one of the best feelings ever. Whether its an event that raises money for charity or even a simple video created by the committee, it is great to see the society grow and flourish.

The downside can be the admin work that accompanies. There are also times when you have to put your foot down if something goes wrong and you have only a matter of minutes to rectify the issue. But thankfully that doesn’t happen to often!

4. What are your college staples to get you through the college day?

Coffee! I don’t know whether it has become more of a habitat or an addiction but I tend to have at least one cup of coffee throughout the day.

5. Your favourite college memory?

Only one? Ok, let me think. If I have to widdle it down to one, it would probably be at the Hybrid Awards last year. Newswire, the news and current affairs show for DCUfm’s picked up an award, but I was also nominated for Broadcast Journalist of the Year. For me, that was a huge achievement and it was just the icing on the cake of possibly one of the best years of my life.

6. For people who are somewhat shy at the prospect of joining a society, what advice would you give to them?

My advice would be to go to as many events as possible. Events are a great way to get to know other members of the society as well as the committee. Or maybe going up to Clubs and Socs in the U. There is always someone there to chat you about society life whether it’s a society committee member, someone from the SU or just a friendly face. Having a friendly face to chat to will make it much easier to get involved in society life, whether its small or not.

7. Would you consider yourself a GirlBoss? And with that, what defines a GirlBoss, in your opinion?

For me, a GirlBoss is someone who knows what she wants and is willing to do anything to get it. Now that doesn’t mean she’ll step on people to get, but rather through working hard, dedicating time and effort to your dream and be an example to others. I would like to think I am GirlBoss but I’m not too sure, there are quite a few gals in my life who would definitely embody what a GirlBoss is.

8. What should we look forward to with your society this year?

This year, Her Campus is only going to get bigger and better. The hope for us is to have a bigger presence on campus as a serious media outlet for DCU students. We’re going to have much for events and then we have our second-year anniversary in Semester 2, with lots of exciting plans to accompany it.

9. Describe your society in 6 words?

Fun, exciting, welcoming, unique, creative and surprising.

Follow HerCampus on Social Media: 

Facebook –  https://www.facebook.com/HerCampusDCU/ 

Twitter –  https://twitter.com/hercampusdcu/  

Instagram –  https://www.instagram.com/hercampusdcu/ 

21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve! 
My name is Niamh Dunne. I am a 20 year old student in DCU studying Media Studies and Politics. I have a huge passion for writing and fashion. I hope to become a political correspondent for either TV or radio once I have graduated college! x