Celebrity girl crushes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Demi Lovato is an American singer, songwriter and actress. Her personal qualities are the reason she should be considered as a “girl crush.” She is stunning, she is an inspiration due to her honesty and confidence. Her album “Tell Me You Love Me” and her documentary “Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated” have been recently released. She has made the Billboard list of 25 Women Changing the World and this is why. 

Her Past 

Lovato won many contests as a child. She began acting at the age of 10 in Barney and Friends. In 2007 she began working with the Disney Channel. She first starred in ‘As the Bell Rings’. Then she starred in Camp Rock, Princess Protection Programme and Sonny with a Chance. 

In 2008 she released her debut album, Don’t Forget. Since then she has had 5 more albums. 

In 2013 Demi starred in Glee. at this time, she was more open about her personal struggles, acknowledging that she also battled a substance abuse problem. She also went public with her bipolar disorder.  

Her Documentary 

‘Simply Complicated’ has received 15 million views on YouTube. Demi notes “I wanted to be honest because my fans deserve that.” We get an incite of the crazy experiences that have made her the person she is today. It contains the stories of getting sober while being a judge on The X Factor, the end of her six-year relationship, and single life.  It shows her battles with substance abuse and an eating disorder. It shows her becoming the confident woman she is today. 

Her Album  

“Sorry Not Sorry” 

Demi says, “This is one of my favourites and the first single from the album. I wanted to kick off the launch of my new music in a fun and upbeat way. A lot of people on my team wanted to go with another song as the first single, and I really pushed for ‘Sorry Not Sorry.’ We also had a blast making the music video, and the song is an unapologetic anthem for all the haters out there. It’s basically a message that says I’m going to live my life and choose my happiness on my own terms, and I won’t apologize for it.” 

Her Style 

In 2017 she has worn both super girly and futuristic clothing. Demi has the attitude and confidence to wear anything. “I don’t let anyone’s insecurities, emotions, or opinions bother me. I know that if I am happy, that’s all that matters to me. And it’s okay to be selfish like that sometimes, when it comes to your well-being. Do what makes you happy, and don’t care what others think,” 

Her Healthy Living 

Demi recently launched her #Demi4Fabletics activewear range.  She was tired of feeling lethargic and not taking care of herself. “I decided to change that, so I got a trainer and I started working out.” She now works out over six hours a week, eats exceptionally clean, and feels significantly better than before. 

“They said that I wouldn’t make it, but here I am,” Demi Lovato says. 

Demi is an empowering and strong woman whom fighting her battles so beautifully. 

Image by Billboard.com

My name is Amy and I'm a journalism student in Dublin City University. I'm from a wee town called Cootehill in County Cavan. My interests include health, welfare, the environment and pop culture. I'm a flawed human with a great sense of humour! 
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.