This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

From Ariana Grande to Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson many celebrities have used their fame and their platforms to speak out about their mental illnesses. 

Breaking the stigma and normalising mental illness is so important in our society. Having conversations about it will encourage people who are suffering to talk and to not bottle it up. With big fan bases and following, celebrities can have a big impact on people, particularly those who look up to them.  

Many celebrities have been praised for the way they have spoken out about their mental illnesses. With some talking about their depression and anxiety and some talking about their bipolar disorder. 

Someone who has notably been open about their mental health is singer Demi Lovato. She has suffered from depression, an eating disorder and self-harm, she has also dealt with sobriety problems after years of abusing drugs and alcohol and is bipolar.  

Lovato has done many things to talk about her mental health. She has written a number of songs about her experiences. In April 2011 she wrote an article for Seventeen magazine about her struggles. In 2012 she released a documentary called Demi Lovato: Stay Strong, which followed her recovery after she left rehab.  

Though in her Youtube documentary Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated (2017) she admitted to being dishonest about her treatment in the 2012 documentary, showing that at the time she still wasn’t able to be fully honest about her experience but has since grown. 

Another celebrity who has been very honest about her struggles with her mental health is Riverdale actor Lili Reinhart. She has been very open about her struggles with anxiety and depression since she came into the spotlight in 2017.  

She uses her social media platforms as a way to talk about the struggles she faces and her personal experiences with them. Ranging from topics from online harassment to her body image issues, she’s not afraid to start a conversation and offer support to her followers who might be facing the same or similar issues. 

Last week, she posted on her Instagram stories that she has started going to therapy again to deal with her anxiety and depression. This kind of message can have a crucial impact on her young following who might be struggling but don’t want to admit it or feel ashamed about what they’re feeling. 

“Therapy is never something to feel ashamed of,” she posted in one story on Friday night, “Everyone can benefit from seeing a therapist. Doesn’t matter how old or ‘proud’ you’re trying to be.”  

There are many different ways and platforms that celebrities use to talk about their mental health, some like to give details and be open about it whereas others prefer to keep most of it private.  

Either way, it has an impact on people because we are wired to be interested in the lives of celebrities, and the interest will help to educate and raise awareness about mental health and supporting those who struggle. 

My name is Rachel Halpin. I am 21 years old and I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I am a third-year journalism student in Dublin City University.
DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.