Culture > News

Calls For Rick And Morty To Be Cancelled Following Controversies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

TW This article contains discussion about sexual harassment, rape and abuse

After a decade of serving as one of the internet’s most loved animated series, the creators of Rick and Morty are facing their greatest controversy yet. 

Calls for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty to be cancelled have flooded the internet following domestic violence charges against co-creator and star Justin Roiland. The co-creator has been charged with one count of domestic battery with corporal injury and one count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and deceit. Both charges stem from incidents which occurred in 2020. The first involved an unnamed woman who Roiland was dating. He pleaded not guilty and was free on a $50,000 bond. The actor appeared in court for a pre-trial hearing on January 12th 2023 and is due to attend another on April 27th of this year.  If you thought things couldn’t get any more disturbing, think again. Roiland is now going viral following the release of his foul sexual conversations with minors. The text messages dated October 2015 include the creator sending a 16-year-old girl racial slurs and telling her to go into “sex slavery.” Screenshots of similar horrific interactions that Roiland engaged in have resurfaced and rightly caused an uproar on social media.

Unfortunately, Roiland is not the first of the Rick and Morty stars to earn backlash for such horrific allegations. In light of the present allegations, fans have quickly pointed out workplace sexual harassment allegations that co-creator Dan Harmon faced in 2018. He has since apologised and been forgiven by the victim. But of course, it gets worse. In 2009 Harmon made a video in which he stimulates raping a baby doll. The video premiered at the Channel 101 comedy festival and resurfaced on social media in 2018, causing a great backlash against the co-creator. Harmon deleted his Twitter account shortly after and stated,

In 2009, I made a ‘pilot’ which strove to parody the series ‘Dexter’ and only succeeded in offending. I quickly realised the content was way too distasteful and took the video down immediately. Nobody should ever have to see what you saw and for that, I sincerely apologize.”

Given the charges Roiland is facing at present, beloved Rick and Morty fans have expressed their anger and frustration towards both creators all over social media. While some Twitter users stated,

I think dan harmon and justin roiland are just in competition for who can be the worst co-creator of rick and morty.

Another user expressed disgust in not only the creators but also any fans who have justified the actions of Roiland and Harmon,

Anyone who thinks Dan Harmon’s  ‘DARYL’ is funny, seriously needs to get some help. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and yeah, there was some pretty questionable comedy around then. But this? This was too far and I have a thick skin, but I felt sick watching the videos discussing it.

Other fans have engaged in the discourse surrounding the idea of ‘separating the art from its artist.’ This has become the conundrum of the modern age. When beloved artists are revealed to be abusers and engaging in sexual harassment/assault, many fans become conflicted about enjoying their material. Just months ago, fans were ashamed of Rex Orange County’s appearance in their Spotify Wrapped lists following sexual assault charges. Should fans be boycotting their favourite artists’ future projects, or can they find a way to separate the world they love from the disappointment that is the creator? There is of course a lot of nuance to this discussion. Slate uses Minecraft and  J.K. Rowling to demonstrate this. While on one hand, Minecraft’s creator promotes transphobic beliefs, the game itself does not reflect those beliefs, and Microsoft has cut all ties with him and continued the success of the game for over a decade. However, when it comes to the Harry Potter series, its author portrays her ignorant views, making it difficult to separate the two. Evidently, the circumstances of the issue play a role in its solution for some. 

When it comes to Rick and Morty, it has been difficult for fans to choose the best course of action. For some, the show leaves a lingering bad taste in the mouth given Roiland’s huge involvement and contributions to the show. Others may be able to enjoy their favourite shows and distance themselves from the disturbing creator.

Adult Swim announced on their Twitter account that they have now cut ties with Justin Roiland and will be recasting his roles in the upcoming seasons. However, it is uncertain whether Hulu will make the right decision and do the same. Time will tell how Roiland’s legal proceedings will impact his position within the entertainment industry and among fans.

Hotlines:

Women’s Aid: 24hr National Freephone Helpline 1800 314 900

National Domestic Violence Hotline: Call 1.800.799.SAFE / Text “START” to 88788

Safe Horizon: Call 1-800-621-HOPE 

20 year old law student. HerCampus DCU Editor in Chief