This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Niamh Mary Martin is a second year English and Media Studies student, PRO for DCU Drama and directing their Musical Theatre Intervarsities entry, Hadestown. Ready for some advice from DCU’s up and coming Steven Spielberg? Keep reading, so. 

• How do you feel now, compared to going into semester one? 

I can’t wait to hit the ground running with semester two! Comparing right now with the attitude I had going into semester one, I am going into semester two a lot more driven and focused. I am especially excited for the upcoming social events and nights out! 

• Advice to people going into semester two? 

I would advise people to use semester one as a guideline and learn from their mistakes in order to keep a good pace for semester two. First semester involves a lot of trying to find your footing and establishing a routine, whereas starting semester two immediately following exams means you’re already in the mind frame to start working.  

• Do you have any organisational tips? 

I wouldn’t survive without my timetables! I found that semester two felt less chaotic last year than semester one, despite the fact I had rehearsals 4 nights a week and was PR’ing 3 shows! I will preach timetabling door to door until I’m told to shut up. 

• Advice you’d give for managing time between lectures and socialising? 

I think finding a balance is so tricky. Last semester, I got a bit too focused on staying on top of reading or society commitments when I could’ve prioritised my friends every so often. A good way is to spend gaps between lectures doing something nice with a pal! It’s time you can dedicate to them whilst not taking away from your work! 

• Advice for dealing with stress in semester two? 

The best to deal with stress is to join clubs and societies (especially Drama)! Drama is such an inclusive society and it’s a great way to step out of your comfort zone for a while and leave the stress behind! With the clubs and socs refreshers fair in semester two, it’s never too late to join! 

• Any big plans for semester two? 

Semester two is going to be very based in directing again, as I’m working on Drama’s Musical Theatre Intervarsities entry, Hadestown! Getting to work on this show in any form is a dream come true for me. I’m also working with our team on videos and promotion for Chicago, our musical this year! Drama has a few bigger events in the works as well, but I won’t risk the wrath of Nathan or Riain by spilling any tea. 

• Have you learned anything from directing the panto in semester one that you’ll take with you in semester two? 

Directing the panto in semester one has taught me a lot. Though the show was so much fun, and I got to learn how to direct completely hands on, it had a massive cast and was a two hour show which was a lot to get a grasp on at times.  

I’ve definitely come out of it more assured of my own leadership abilities and creativity, but also that the people surrounding me are there when I need help, which is something I struggled to admit pre-dating the show.  

I’m absolutely going to make the most of that support system going into Hadestown and I’m walking in a lot more confident in that I know what I’m doing.  

• Top three things you’re looking forward to in semester two? 

1. I can’t wait for the final few weeks of college with the C&S and Humanities Balls. 

1. Get me to Galway Inters ASAP! I get to direct my favourite show and work with such a strong production team; shoutout to my soulmate and assistant director Kate Gurren – we are taking home the gold this year! 

1. Seeing two of my closest friends direct their own shows this year is going to be incredible. I’ll be sat front row for both Kevin and Conall’s shows, probably crying.

DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.