The 5 best ways to live green on college

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The words ‘being green’ aren’t uncommon on a college campus. Colleges are continuously campaigning to make their grounds more environmentally friendly. However, students’ lives are so busy we often forget that we can help make a difference.  

There is a little studying and a lot of socialising to do after all!  

Here are 5 of the best ways to live green on campus. 

1. Buy a reusable coffee cup 

Coffee is one of the essentials of a college student’s survival. HowEver, single-use coffee cups are not recyclable and go straight to landfill. DCU have recently introduced reusable coffee cups that can be used in any cafe on campus. You even get a discount on your cuppa!  

This can also be applied to water bottles, buy an eco-friendly reusable bottle that will quench your thirst and help the environment. 

1. Recycle 

Reduce, re-use, recycle is a phrase we learn in primary school, but how many of us actually put it into practice all these years later? It’s really not that hard. Use the right bins; paper, plastic, food waste etc. It doesn’t seem like much, but really it helps a lot. 

1. Flip the switch 

So much power goes to waste when lights are left on and when devices are still plugged in when they don’t need to be.  Remember to flip the switch when you leave the room and unplug your devices when they are finished charging.  

1. Buy more green product 

Try to buy local produce when cooking your own homemade meals. I know, ordering in is quick and easy, but all those pizza boxes stack up eventually. Buying fresh, organic, local produce reduces your carbon footprint. 

1. Listen to Macklemore 

Thrift shopping is great. Looking for some new homeware for your campus accommodation? Need some new clothes? Local charity shops are where it’s at, especially when you’ve only twenty dollas in your pocket.  

Photo by Daniel Frank on Unsplash 

Hey, I'm Emer. I'm a 21-year-old Journalism student from Dublin. I have a passion for arts. I enjoy writing about music, literature, TV, film, art and theatre. Reading and going to concerts are my favourite pastimes. I also love photography and travelling.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.