10 foods to get you through those long college days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

At this point in the year, heavy workloads coupled with unhealthy eating habits can make students start to feel burnt out.  

And while most of us are guilty of reaching for the quick fixes, such as energy drinks, coffee, and fast food, as soon as that initial energy boost wears off, you’re right back to square one. 

So below are the 10 foods to help you kick the assignment blues and leave you feeling full of energy during these long college days.   

1.  Whole grain cereal 

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and also the most skipped meal. Breakfast sets up your energy for the day and although whole grain cereal might seem boring in comparison to its sugary counterparts, the high fiber means more consistent energy and you can always add fruit to jazz it up! 

2.    Dark chocolate 

Dark chocolate is a savior for anyone who wants to satisfy their sweet tooth without feeling bad afterward. The chocolate contains natural stimulants similar to that in coffee but it will leave you with a long energy release. Making it the perfect lunch, or mid-lecture snack to get you through. 

3.   Bananas  

Another quick snack with a big impact is bananas, similar to dark chocolate they release energy without the crash and burn and taste good too. Bananas not only contain essential vitamins but are full of potassium, sure to keep you going all day long. 

4.   Green tea 

If you find it hard to go a morning without coffee or caffeine, try substituting for a green tea alternative. Not only does green tea naturally contain caffeine, similar to coffee, but it also contains thymine, meaning you feel much more alert and focused, minus the post-coffee jitters. 

5.   Yoghurt  

If you need a quick boost before class, yogurt (if you’re really feeling healthy try Greek) is an easy snack. Yogurt contains lactose, which provides energy. It also has lots of protein, helping slow down the absorption, and making the energy boost last longer. 

6.   Salmon 

Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, known not only to boost energy but to also elevate your mood. Making it perfect to help you through stressful college days. 

7.    Popcorn 

Popcorn is high in fiber and carbohydrates, but low in calories (when it’s not slathered in butter and salt). Popcorn is actually a great healthy and convenient snack that will leave you filled with energy. 

8.   Nuts  

Nuts and seeds are great for beating fatigue. They provide nutrients and energy and make the perfect snack to nibble on while in a lecture or working on assignments. 

9.   Peanut butter on wholegrain bread 

Although peanut butter is calorie dense, a small amount provides a big and tasty energy boost. And when paired with healthy energy releasing bread it is the perfect snack to get you through the day.  

10.   Water 

Most importantly, if you don’t drink enough water you will feel tired and awful. Swapping the caffeinated or sugary drinks for water will make you feel much better and more energetic in no time. 

Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.