Staying Fit as a First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

College is a time of expanding horizons (and to the chagrin of many a freshman, expanding waistlines).  Between drinking, ordering Dominos in the wee hours of the morning, or banking on the endless amount of free food that Davidson seems to push on the regular, it seems almost inevitable that you’re going to gain some weight. I am here to give you some tips for staying healthy and active in college. 

Cracking Commons:

The first week of my freshman year I noticed that my fellow freshies were a bit overwhelmed with the concept of an “all you can eat” buffet. Just because they offer four different entrées doesn’t mean you have to eat all four different entrees. If you want to, go for it, but for most a cheeseburger, a taco salad, and a pizza may leave you feeling uncomfortably bloated. I know the gut reaction is to go John Belushi in Animal House and ravenously attack the buffet line. But just because you’re in college, doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthy foods. 

Every week the school’s dietician lists on the dry erase board her daily picks of what to eat. It’s super helpful and can help make Commons a less stressful, far healthier experience. However, if you decide to plan your own meals, the salad bar is stocked with fresh fruit and veg (a lot of it is local too). It usually carries a wide variety of quinoa and other super foods and is the antithesis of the grease trap that is Union Café.

Nutritionists:

Everybody is different. Every body is especially different. One way of eating will not necessarily work for you, even if it works for your friend. Stephanie* may be able to eat an entire jar of Nutella and remain stick thin, while you may simply take a deep breath and pack on the pounds. If you feel truly out of control in terms of food consumption or diet, or you simply want to make sure that you’re eating the best that you can for your body type, check out Davidson’s resident dieticians. Located in the Health Center, Elizabeth Allred and Julie Whittington are Davidson’s registered dieticians, open to both athletes and “nonners.” They’ll help evaluate your diet and offer tips for healthy eating, and they’re completely free!

Contact Info: 

Elizabeth Allred, MPH, RD, CSSD Registered Dietitian-Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, 704-894-3071

Julie Whittington, MS, RD, LDN Registered Dietitian, 704-894-2300

Get Active:

A trip to the gym even once a week can boost your energy levels and help you tone up. There are three gyms open to the non-athletic public: Chidsey, Union, and Baker. They have a wide selection of cardio and weight lifting equipment that is accessible for most of the day. There are also plenty of P.E. classes offered at Davidson. Try signing up for one of the more intense P.E. electives. There are also many local gyms offering classes in cycling, yoga, or circuit training. Check for deals and student discounts, which are very abundant.

Healthy Snacking:

Snacking. As hungry college students, we seem to do it perpetually. But snacking can be a real contributor to the freshman fifteen. Snacking is inevitable. So instead of calorie packed chips and candy, go with some lighter, healthy options. Kashi bars, Kind bars, apple chips, nuts (in moderation), fruit that won’t spoil in a week or so (like apples, bananas, etc) are all great things to keep stocked up in your dorm room.

Meal Prep:

If Commons seems like a no-go zone for you, try meal prepping for the week. There are plenty of readily available kitchens so that you can meal prep some healthy options.  The below videos offer suggestions for how to cook cheaply and healthily in a college setting. It may seem more trouble than it’s worth to cook every week, but when you cook your own food, you know exactly what you are putting into your body.

How to meal prep for college on a budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJi566QOTCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjS32DMmEo

Vegan/vegetarian options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxedjN0PT-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tPYw9jjhhk

Alcohol consumption:

Usually what ends up causing the most weight gain in college is the abundant amount of calorie filled alcohol that students do often unwittingly. Beer often has many calories, as do the fruity mixers that are deceptively sweet. It’s good to drink in moderation (if you do choose to drink) for reasons beyond weight gain of course.   

Accept It:

The point of college is to have fun, let loose, and make lasting memories. So if you gain some weight here and there, do not sweat it! You’re beautiful at any weight, at any size, and at any shape. Plus everyone is going through the same changes. Sometimes you just have to eat the brownie “scoopie” thing at Commons. It’s okay. Eat the brownie (I recommend the one from Union. It’s literally like crack), and do it with a guiltless smile on your face. 

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.