photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Tips for Surviving a Hanover Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

If you’re anything like me, winter is exciting! New snowfall, hot chocolate, and even bundling up can be pretty fun at first. However, the gloomy skies, subzero temperatures, and frequent snowstorms can start to drain your mood. It’s that point in the term where you may find yourself daydreaming about warmer times, so here are some tips on braving the Hanover winter, whether you’re a veteran or first-timer.

1. Embrace the cold.

Easier said than done, I know. But if you look at the cold and snow as a change of pace, winter can actually be kind of fun. Nothing makes winter more bearable than actually enjoying what makes it special. Take a break from studying to go ice skating on Occom with friends or head to the Skiway if that’s your thing. If you’re not into winter activities, even simply taking a walk around campus to appreciate the frosty scenery can lift your spirits. Hanover in winter is truly magical.

1. Bundle up.

Layers, layers, layers! Winter is a constant struggle between the frozen temperatures outside and the overwhelming warmth from the heaters inside. Plus, when else do you get to whip out your coziest sweaters and cutest winter accessories? Late night walks from the library can get pretty chilly (and icy!), so make sure you’re prepared with proper snow boots, a heavy coat, and a scarf.

1. Get cozy.

Winter is the perfect time for cozying up in your room with friends. Make a fun night out of binging a new show with your roommate, complete with a cup of hot chocolate or tea and snuggling up under layers of blankets. Pro tip: there’s nothing a pair of fuzzy socks can’t fix.

1. Get warm food and drinks.

Summer is all about ice cream and popsicles, but winter is about everything warm! Nothing will warm you up more effectively than a bowl of soup or cup of tea. Bonus: grabbing a hot drink on your way to class will keep your hands extra toasty! You can even get together with friends to bake a warm treat—a fun activity and a great way to combat the cold!

1. Take care of yourself.

Seasonal depression is real. Between sunsets before 5pm and cloudy skies, you’ll start missing sunlight pretty quickly. This lack of sun can have a real impact on your motivation, stress level, and overall mood. Remember to take time for yourself. Set aside some time to read that book you’ve been meaning to start, do a face mask, or watch a little Netflix before heading to bed. You’ll be surprised by how much calmer you feel.

Good luck this winter!

Hayley Divers

Dartmouth '21

Hayley Divers is a '21 at Dartmouth College from Tampa, FL. She is majoring in linguistics with a minor in English. Besides writing for HerCampus, Hayley loves music (especially country). She plays acoustic guitar, piano, ukulele, and sings in the Dartmouth Decibelles a cappella group, where she serves as the group's Business Manager. Other interests include: Taylor Swift, Disney, and all things pink.
Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.