rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Finding Motivation When You Have the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

By Alexandra Limb

The beginning and end of January always seem to be polar opposites in terms of my energy, motivation, and excitement about the new year. A couple weeks ago, I had a list of resolutions neatly written down in my Moleskine notebook and was determined to make 2019 “my year.” A mix of both personal and academic goals, some of my main priorities included “better time management with my schoolwork” and “spending more time with friends” (pretty standard, I know).

But now that we are approaching the end of the month, I’ve noticed that the brutally cold weather and snow have definitely made me less enthusiastic about achieving my goals. It’s easy to fall into this trap, especially as the excitement of the new year fades away and the bleakness of winter takes over.

Whether you want to stay strong academically or stick to your personal goals, here are some tips for finding motivation in college when you have the winter blues:

1. Spend Time in Sunlight: Make sure you take advantage of the short bursts of sunlight during these winter months. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is triggered by the winter season due to colder weather and less sunlight. You might find yourself having less energy, feeling fatigued, and more irritable or unhappy. Combat this by spending time in the sun, even if it means going for a short walk around campus. You can also sit by a window to catch some rays while studying or relaxing. There are sun lamps that many college campuses make available to students and are known to be an effective treatment against SAD.

2. Take Breaks: While it sounds counterintuitive, it is so important to take breaks and set aside time to relax. Constantly working leads to burnout, which is even worse during a cold, dreary winter and will happen faster. Taking time for yourself is also a huge reward for getting things done!

3. Self-Care: Whether it is exercising, doing a face-mask, watching Netflix, or reading for fun, it is important to maintain your physical and mental wellbeing to stay more energized and excited during winter. Make sure you get enough sleep, since the cold naturally makes you more fatigued.

4. Establish a routine: Try to wake up and go to sleep at around the same time, eat consistent meals, and work a certain amount during each day. It is a lot easier to stay organized and on track when you have a normal routine that you stick to. This will allow you to track your progress more easily and keep your mind sharp.

4. Talk to people: Let your family members or people close to you know how you are doing. By saying what you have achieved out loud, it will help you realize the progress you are making and keep you motivated to keep working towards your goals! It is easy to disregard what you have done when you keep it to yourself, but telling others is a great way to stay on track.

It’s hard to stay proactive when the winter slush just makes you want to lie in bed and wait until spring comes around. Remember that you have an inner strength and the season is only temporary!

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.