This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

Living away from home for the first time is, without a doubt, incredibly stressful. In addition to your heavy course load, there are so many things that you have to keep track of. To help simplify things a bit, check out these simple–but unbelievably helpful–life hacks that I swear by. 

1. Always pack water and healthy snacks whenever you leave your dorm.Though it seems simple, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten hungry while studying in the library, or I’ve developed headaches due to dehydration in class. Keeping food and water with you at all times is essential. Get a reusable water bottle that you can fill up anywhere on campus, and keep your room stocked with healthy snacks that you can grab on the go. Having your own healthy food will also prevent you from frequently indulging in the unhealthy snacks offered on most campuses. 
  1. Plan out your day ahead of time.Whether you write it down in a planner, store it in an online calendar, or just keep a general outline in your head, always try to have an idea of what you plan to do with your time every day. Block out specific times to study, exercise, and socialize with friends. This will help you to be more productive. If you know exactly what you need to do and when you need to do it, you can more realistically assess whether or not you reallyhave the time to take on another commitment. When I find myself feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work that I have, it’s usually because I haven’t planned how best to utilize my time. 

1. Get to know the people in your classes. Even if they don’t become your best friends, the people in your classes can be valuable resources. You never know when you’ll need to get the notes from a classmate after missing a class, or when you’ll find yourself in need of a study buddy before a test. Having people to help you out–and who you can help out in turn–takes some of the stress out of your academic life. 
  1. Keep your room clean.Try to clean your room regularly and keep your belongings organized as often as you can. A messy room can make you feel even moreoverwhelmed. It might even leave you missing home, where everything was clean. Also, set aside time to do your laundry, wash your sheets, and run errands to keep your room stocked with everything you need. Having a clean space to call home and being prepared at all times will save you from the little things that make our lives more stressful…like those late-night sprints to the pharmacy 

1. Find something that helps you to destress. Finding that one thing that helps you to relax and practicing it regularly can help immensely when the work begins piling up. Whether it’s hitting the gym, meditating before bed, or writing your thoughts down at the end of the day, build it into your routine! And no matter how busy you get, keep doing it. Destressing is essential to staying healthy throughout your college years. 

*all images are CC from Pexel.

Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.
Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?