neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things NOT to Pack for Your Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

People will give you a top ten packing list for your freshman year of college. Don’t forget your toothbrush, a shower caddy, a bag for laundry, or your chargers! But what they won’t tell you is ten things to leave behind. 

Trust me, these are ten things that should stay at home when you leave for your freshman year of college.

1. The Comparison Game

This fun box-set game is a great way to start conversations–and then, quickly ruin any chance of future relationships. Opening lines include such classics as: “what’s your ACT/SAT score?” “I was in X number of clubs in high school…” And “my major is better than your major”.

Now, these seem like common sense to avoid, but you’d be surprised how many college freshmen engage in this sort of thing, especially during the rush of orientation. It’s common to be scared when you first arrive at college but making yourself feel better by putting others down is NOT the way to go about it. Being curious is good, but don’t be condescending.

2. High-School Hang-ups

It’s college. If your high school friends were toxic, or you had a too-controlling romantic partner, now’s the time to cut off any negative ties. If you have true relationships from high school, then maintain them. True friends are hard to find. But if your high school friends demand you hang out with them and only them, and don’t allow you to meet other people in college, then it’s time to gently move on. You cannot sacrifice your own happiness for other people to remain comfortable.

3. Old Perceptions of Yourself

If you used to be a jock, a popular kid, a party animal, a nerd, or any other High School Musical category, leave that at the door. Yes, it’s a cliché to say you’ll “reinvent yourself” in college, but it’s less of a reinvention and more of a “discover yourself”. You learn a lot during those four years away from your high school and family. Maybe you’ll discover things about your mental health, your sexuality, or the way you identify. Try the counseling center, Tucker for religious services, or WISE for survivors. If you ever need help with any of those, please don’t hesitate to seek out resources on campus. Discovering who you are can be confusing, but you shouldn’t do it alone.

On-Campus Resources Listed Here:

https://www.dartmouth.edu/sexualrespect/resources/on-campus-help.html

4. Everything and the Kitchen Sink

People overpack. It happens when you’re facing a new situation. When faced with the unknown, though, think carefully. Sure, you may need one jacket when it gets cold out, but do you need two just because one has a zipper and the other buttons? Know the room you’re moving into. Freshman dorms tend to be tiny, and you may run out of space.

5. Less-Than-Legal Items

Okay, fine, we’re human. I get it. We make mistakes. One recommendation though? Familiarize yourself with items that are outside the boundaries of what you can bring to your dorm. If you need a permit to bring a dog for therapy, then fill out the proper permission forms. If you need an air conditioning unit for your allergies, call the medical center on campus. Be prepared to know the rules of where you’re living!

6. Procrastination

The transition from high school to college is rough. On average, college will be more challenging/rigorous than high school. You’ll have to get used to mapping out your schedule and how long it takes you to walk/bike from one side of campus to another. You’ll have to budget your time wisely. And if you’re going into pre-med? You’ll have to study all day, every day. You’re in an environment where you know some/none of the people there.

Again, seek campus resources if you’re feeling overwhelmed, or talk to your college counselor/advisor. For the most part, if you have something to do, do it right away to ease your mind.

Advising Resources herehttps://students.dartmouth.edu/ugar/advising/advising-resources-students

Campus Counseling: https://students.dartmouth.edu/health-service/counseling/about

7. Over-Dependence

Everyone approaches college/adulthood with a different level of independence depending on how you grew up. If you’re approaching college without basic skills like laundry, cooking, and cleaning, now’s the time to learn the basics. At least know enough to operate a microwave, a washer, a dryer, and to keep your room sanitary. You have to learn to take care of yourself in order to survive. You don’t want to go through college without clean underwear, edible food, or a hazard zone of a room!

8. Sleep Deprivation

If you went through high school believing sleep is for the weak, you might want to rethink that theory. Yes, I understand sleep sounds like a luxury if you’re going into a challenging major. If you have to wake up at 6 AM, it’s not the wisest decision to stay out that night until the sun rises. Sleep deprivation leads to a host of mental health problems down the road. And if you’re already struggling, don’t hesitate to seek out resources for a healthy sleep aid for you.

9. Biases

This goes without saying, but it needs to be written anyways. You are going to college, where you’ll encounter people from different backgrounds. Please be respectful of everyone you meet and try to learn from them. Just because you don’t understand what someone is going through, doesn’t mean their struggle is any less real.

10. Comfort Zone

“Leave your comfort zone”.

Your freshman year of college is a time for a lot of firsts. It might be your first time away from friends and family. Your first time taking care of yourself. Your first time meeting different people, trying different food, or engaging in out-there club activities.

People will tell you stories of what their time at college was like, but you don’t need to have the exact same stories. This is your college experience, and only you can shape it however you’d like.

***

I can’t reach through the screen and tell you what you can and can’t bring to your first year of college. I can only leave you with this. No single source of information can give you an exact prediction of what the coming year will bring. We’re only human, and most of us cannot accurately predict our own futures. Your college experience will be unique to you, and I’m wishing you all the best in your endeavors. May your college years shine brightly, and may you find what works for you.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?