free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Consider Before Taking an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

https://www.fame10.com/entertainment/cast-of-the-devil-wears-prada-how-m…

As we grow closer to graduating, we send out resumes and cover letters to further our experience, while diving head first into the real world. After we send them out, we then wait for that phone call from the company to set up an interview. As we anticipate the interview we research the company and create questions that the interviewer may ask us. But what we don’t anticipate is what comes with the job when it is offered. Will it be paid? Will you have to commute? What does a day to day situation look like? Once you have the interview of one of your prospective jobs, it is now time to decide whether or not this is the right fit for your right now.

Here are some things to consider before diving into this next internship or job:

Paid/ Unpaid

Depending on the company some internships will be unpaid. When they are unpaid it is hard for you to actually feel like you are an asset to a company. Lucky, today many internships are paid with at least minimum wage or in a stipend of some kind. Hopefully, you can find an internship that gives you something in return for your hard work.

Going the Distance

It is important to determine whether or not driving far is going to help you out in the long run. If an internship is unpaid and you have to drive a larger distance to get there, it may be harder for you to budget out your life. Spending all of the money on gas with no income from the internship, is hard to swallow. But if you are offered a dream position or you are at your dream company then all the power to you. You may end up moving up in the company and become a powerful b**ch.

Fulfilling the Needs of What you Want  

You may get a chance to work at your dream company, but if you are not doing the things you want to do or you feel are meant to do, you may want to consider another company. I get that we are all going to have to do somethings we don’t want to do, but overall you want to be happy with what you are doing and how you can grow as a person.

After weighing your options now it is time to take one of your offers. Hopefully you are able to decide which opportunity can help you grow as a person and in your career

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.