Measuring
Measuring
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

Vegan Sweets for The College Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Vegan: a person who does not eat or use animal products. Growing up my mom cooked without using any dairy or eggs because of my brother’s allergy. So now I am here to share with you some of my favorite vegan recipes!

Pancakes
Christin Urso / Spoon

Vegan Pancakes: (taken from the Food Network and tweaked to be vegan)

Pancakes! I love pancakes, but I never order them at restaurants because they just never taste good, they always taste like boxed pancake mix which is such a shame. So this is my go-to pancake recipe that is amazing! My boyfriend can’t get enough of these pancakes.

1. 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  2. 3 tablespoons sugar
  3. 1 tablespoon baking powder
  4. ¼ teaspoon
  5. 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  6. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  7. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoon water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg replacement) then add to the rest of the ingredients to mix all together. -I buy flaxseed meal at Safeway or Fred Meyer or any local grocery store.
  8. 3 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance Vegan butter sticks)
  9. Mix all ingredients together and then use just like any other pancake batter! -I put my pan on just above medium

Banana Bread
Helena Lin / Spoon

Vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread: From my grandma’s cookbook!

Everyone loves this recipe! I think I made it 4 times fall quarter!!! My boyfriend even asked for it for his birthday instead of an actual cake!

1. 3 cups of flour
  2. 2 cups of sugar
  3. 1 teaspoon salt
  4. 1 teaspoon baking soda 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  5. ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  6. 3 teaspoons vanilla
  7. 1 cup oil
  8. 2 cups grated zucchini
  9. 1-2 cups of dark chocolate chips (or however much you want depending on how chocolatey you want it to be)
  10. 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 9 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  11. Mix all ingredients together
  12. Bake in bread pans or in muffin tins @ 325 degrees, don’t forget to grease the pans or use muffin papers. (I usually bake in muffin tins so that they are easy finger food)- for the bread pans, bake for about 1 hour. -for the muffin tins, I usually put them in for 20-30min and check on them using a toothpick, then add more time in increments of 1-2 minutes until done.

Vegan chocolate chip banana bread: Also from my grandma’s cookbook!

After people tried my vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread, I had lots of requests for banana bread, so here is the recipe for that! Equally as awesome ?

1. 1 cup sugar
  2. 2 cups flour
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. ½ cup vegan butter
  5. 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
  6. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let it for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  7. Mix all ingredients together
  8. Bake in bread pans or muffin tins @ 325 degrees. Grease the pans or use muffin papers in the muffin trays. Bake in the bread pan for about 1hour 15 min, or for about 15-20min in the muffin tins.
  9. Let cool for 10min before taking out of the tins and move to the cooling rack

Blueberries
Pexels

Vegan lemon blueberry scones, gluten-free & dairy-free: from stephaniesain.com, found on Pinterest!

I love drinking tea and decided it was time to make scones, but I was recently off Whole30 and wanted gluten-free scones. This is the recipe I tried, and I absolutely loved it!

1. 2 ½ cups almond flour
  2. ¼ cup coconut flour
  3. 1 teaspoon baking powder
  4. ½ teaspoon baking soda
  5. ¼ teaspoon sea salt (I used regular table salt)
  6. 1 zest of lemon
  7. ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil
  8. 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  9. 1 cup fresh blueberries
  10. 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water mixed in a separate bowl, let sit for 5 min. (this is the egg substitute)
  11. Mix all ingredients together
  12. Divide the dough into two equal parts and mold into two rounds about ¾ inches thick and place on the baking sheet and chill. Chill in the freezer for 15min. (I put mine in the refrigerator for about 1 hour instead)
  13. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
  14. Then cut into triangle shapes and separate on the baking sheet so each triangle has space to bake.
  15. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-22minutes
  16. Let cool for about 10min before enjoying!
  17. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week ?

Toast
Aakanksha Joshi / Spoon

Vegan Homemade Nutella: from spreadwithpennies.com, found on Pinterest

Nutella is my weakness, but after doing a report on the negative effects of Palm Oil and finding out it is in just about everything pre-made at the grocery store including Nutella, I decided to try and make my own. I found lots of different recipes on Pinterest. This is the one I tried and loved!

1. 1 cup roasted & peeled hazelnuts
  2. Blend in the food processor until you get the creamy peanut butter texture
  3. Then add the rest of ingredients
  4. 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  5. 8 oz melted dark chocolate chips (melt in the microwave at 70% power for about 1 minute or until soft and gooey)
  6. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  7. Continue to blend in the food processor until creamy and smooth
  8. Enjoy! This homemade Nutella goes great on the vegan blueberry lemon scones ?
  9. Store in a glass jar at room temperature

These are just some of my go-to recipes that are super easy to make! I hope this inspires you to try cooking vegan because it tastes yummy and is good for your health!

Xoxo HCCW

Current CWU student. Business Administration major specializing in Supply Chain Management. PNW Native. Vintage clothing enthusiast, animal lover, world traveler, and Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!