This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

TikTok is a rabbit hole that we get stuck down when it comes to social media influencers, celebrity news, viral dances, travel destinations and food. FoodTok happens to be what my for you page consists of. I’m constantly finding these at-home cooks or professional chefs that give you a mini-tutorial on how to recreate their recipes. I’m such a foodie, so I took it upon myself to try out a couple of recipes and give you my honest opinions. Are they worth the hype?  

1. The Famous Feta and Tomato Pasta – If you haven’t heard of this you might be completely out of the loop, but this pasta went so viral. Take a block of feta cheese and place it in the middle of a baking dish, surrounded by cherry tomatoes, and drizzle olive oil and some salt and pepper over the top. Place that in the oven at 400° for 35 minutes. When you take it out add fresh garlic and basil and mix. Add your favorite cooked pasta to the dish and mix again. Honestly, highly recommend such an easy dish to put together, and it is so flavorful.  
  2. Garlic Butter Steak Bites – Steak bites are something my mom and I got hooked on over the summer using the Traeger. Now that the weather has turned and it’s not BBQ weather it’s a little harder to achieve that juicy steak right from the grill. A girl I follow has a page called low carb state of mind and makes these amazing garlic butter steak bites in her air fryer! She takes a room temperature sirloin steak and cubes it up into chunks, then she tosses them in some oil, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, dried chives, and salt and pepper (measure with your heart). She places an even layer of steak bites in her air fryer at 400° for about seven minutes. While those are cooking, she melts some butter and garlic and tosses the steak bites when she pulls them out at the end. I’m not joking these were amazing, so juicy, tender, and the perfect amount of seasoning. These can be addicting, so watch out!  
  3. Kylie Jenner’s Sesame Chicken Salad – I love salads, but I’ve always stuck to two kinds, Caesar or the Applebee’s Oriental Chicken salad. When I stumbled across this one from kellybigbite, it looked simple and easy for when I wanted to have a salad with the right number of veggies and some protein. Take some romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage and green onions and toss together. I wanted to marinate my own chicken rather than getting the precut and precooked chicken from the grocery store, so I got a chicken thigh, cut it into small chunks, marinated it in some teriyaki sauce for about 30 minutes and added it to the air fryer. For the dressing, you’re going to need a specific mayo called Kewpie mayo (I didn’t have that, so I just used what I had at home in terms of mayo), soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sugar. This was a great salad but the dressing was not my favorite so I headed over to Pinterest and found another version of this called the crazy good oriental dressing. So much better and it makes a big batch so you can enjoy this salad again and again.  

Tik Tok is one giant recipe book for those foodie lovers out there. Can’t wait to try some more viral recipes and see if they are worth the hype or not. Scroll through your Tik Tok and start getting inspired in your kitchen. 

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.