Styling Tips To Become The Ultimate Girlboss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Now that school has started again, it might be time to revamp your wardrobe! If it’s time to toss out those T-shirts and replace them with blouses and blazers, I’m here to help! Whether you’re preparing for an internship or just want to change up your usual style, these five style tips will get you on the right track to be your best business casual self.

Tops

This fall we are loving the neutral tones like cream, khaki, and taupe in knitwear. I love a good oversized sweater in the colder months but I suggest finding some more figure-hugging styles to switch it up. For blouses and other tops, try out some jewel tones to add a pop of color!

Invest in:

• Staple black turtleneck
  • Neutral knits
  • Jewel-toned blouses

Pants

A well-fitting pair of pants is so worth the hunt! Whether it’s a pair of trousers or jeans, good tailoring makes all the difference. You can elevate your jeans with a simple sweater or blouse and an oversized blazer on top. With a neutral pair of trousers, you can go in almost any direction your heart desires!

Invest in:

• Sleek denim
  • Tailored trousers

outerwear

If you want to stay stylish but look professional and polished, go for a chic, oversized, less structured blazer. The fitted waist length style is so 2010! A neutral color with a simple pattern is perfect to transition between seasons so you can get the most wear out of it. For a heavier coat, you can never go wrong with a wool trench! They come back again and again each season, so make sure you go for a neutral pattern and color to get the most use out of it in the future!

Invest in:

• Oversized staple blazer(s)
  • Wool trench coat

shoes

No, you can’t keep wearing your dirty AF1’s with everything anymore – but – you can find a sleek pair of white sneakers to go with your business casual looks. These white platform Nike Blazers are the perfect comfy shoe for walking around campus but still looking put together. If you aren’t a sneakers kind of gal, you’re in luck! All the trendy business casual babes will be rocking loafers this fall. Loafers come in so many different styles, colors, and textures meaning there is a pair out there for everyone! Personally, I like chunky platforms or heeled loafers.

Invest in:

• Clean white sneakers
  • Loafers

accessories

Tiny shoulder bags have been reigning supreme over larger sized bags lately, but they just aren’t practical for a gal on the go. A sleek leather (or faux leather) laptop bag or tote bag is perfect for carrying around all those important documents! Plus, you’ll have room for all the things you would put in your teensy handbag!

I know that they are super functional, but please stop wearing your Apple Watch with a “dressed up” outfit. If you’re dressing for a business casual event, I promise you don’t need to see who is texting you right away or track your stand goal. Opt for a smaller watch with a classic silhouette. A small simple watch like this may not be the trendiest, but it will be timeless and chic!

As for jewelry, a small, understated pair of hoop earrings in either gold or silver will top off any look perfectly! You can also wear a tasteful dainty necklace for some extra flair.

Invest in:

• Simple leather tote
  • Small wristwatch
  • Refined jewelry
Image of interviewee\'s products, jewellery
Photo by Katelyn Lo

You probably have a lot of these items in your closet already but if not, most of these pieces can be thrifted! Dressing business casual doesn’t mean buying the most expensive blazer. You can look polished on a budget by being conscious of where you are shopping, swapping with friends or spacing out your purchases instead of doing a huge haul! Happy styling and much love from all of us at Her Campus!

XOXO HC

HC CWU Events and Marketing Director / Personal Financial Planning & Entrepreneurship / Cancer Sun