Life > Experiences

Restarting Dance in my 20’s: CWU Orchesis Dance Company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

A lot of people who have known me for a while also know that I love being on stage. I’ve been doing theater since I was in 7th grade and have never stopped. In addition, I also participated in competitive dance for some time. In my junior year, I decided to quit dance for a couple of reasons: I no longer felt comfortable at the studio I was dancing at and I wanted to become more involved in theater. I had lost my love for dance and needed to focus on other things.

When I arrived here at CWU, I still had full intent on being on stage. I am a theater minor and still participate in shows. I saw an ad on Facebook for Orchesis Dance Company auditions and decided to take a leap of faith. Miraculously after 3 years of not dancing, I made the team.

Orchesis Dance Company, or ODC, is a dance program run through the school that features dancers from the university. The styles often featured include contemporary, lyrical, jazz, tap, and hip-hop. The group this year consists of 20+ members, all of different skill sets and different routines. The coolest thing? Most of the group routines for the end-of-the-year showcase are choreographed by the dancers!

@cwudanceprogram on Instagram

The ODC showcase this year takes place on April 20, 21, and 22. I’m so looking forward to being on stage again!

Hi there! My name is Anna and this is my first year on the CWU Her Campus team! I am extremely interested in all things social media, theater/broadway, and criminal law! I'm from the beautiful Tri-Cities, Washington, and have 3 dogs back at home (I know, I'm a dog mom which automatically makes me THAT cool). I've always had a passion for all things theater and entertainment. I also dance here at Central for a dance company, so you might just catch me in a few productions! I'm so excited to take you along with me on my journey through college as I attempt to navigate this big ol' scary world! So excited to see what Her Campus has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work!