This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As I grow older, I am realizing how important forgiveness is. It can be so easy to dwell on past situations and hold grudges. I used to hold on to grudges for so long because I didn’t want to get hurt again. However, I realized I don’t have power over other people’s actions, only my own.

I have learned that holding grudges will only end up hurting myself. I’m not saying to let people into your life that continue to hurt you. I am saying that the only way to move past that hurt is to forgive and move on. It can be very hard to let go of emotions you once felt so strongly, but it will bring you peace once you finally do. Holding onto that emotion will bring nothing but hatred and pain into your heart.

Forgiving yourself for past actions is equally important. I have spent so much of my life dwelling on past mistakes I’ve made and beating myself up for it. I think it can be a lot harder to forgive yourself rather than someone else. When it’s someone else’s mistake you can move past it and eventually forget about it. However, you can’t escape yourself. Forgiving yourself can take a lot of time and patience.

Woman throwing maple leaves
Photo by Jakob Owens from Unsplash
I used to think some emotions and experiences I would never be able to move past, but I was wrong. You will look back at past situations and be grateful for how far you’ve come. Believe me when I say you have so much potential and room to grow. No matter how bad your past actions were, there is always the chance to make it right or to continue down that path. Everyone comes to a crossroads in life where they have to choose what kind of life they want to live.

Spreading kindness and love will bring so much more fulfillment than hatred will. It’s okay to be mad and feel hurt, but just don’t let that feeling overtake you. Everything in life is temporary and will pass. Don’t give up on finding your peace. It will come.

Her Campus Writer Student at Central Washington University Majoring in Digital Journalism and Public Relations