sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Planning a Wedding In College: Stressful Yet Rewarding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Every college student experiences stress and being overwhelmed, but there can be a silver lining to everything. Being engaged in college is one of the most empowering and fun experiences out there. On top of studying and doing homework, planning your wedding is one of your top priorities. I mean, who doesn’t dream about their wedding day? Between writing essays and doing math homework, you are picking your wedding colors and figuring out who is in your wedding party.

Deciding who’s in your wedding party while still in college, and with the wedding over a year away, can be a little tricky. People change and you don’t know who is still going to be in your life, but you do know who your best friends are and that’s a good place to start. Remember, you find your bridesmaids in college, so keep an eye out.

Trying to decide on how much you are going to spend on your wedding is another HUGE stressor. Almost every college student experiences being poor at one point or another; now think about being poor and spending a minimum of $5,000 on your wedding, plus 4 years of built up student loans… That’s a lot of money that isn’t in the bank account.

But don’t worry, because getting butterflies every time a vendor falls into place, booking your make-up artist or knowing what your bridal party is going to wear a year down the road even though you don’t know what you are wearing to class tomorrow, is surreal. Being able to plan that extra special day is relaxing amongst the chaos and stress of studying for midterms and finals. Yes, it can be one of the most stressful parts of being in college but it’s also such an incredible experience. Being able to say you graduated AND planned a wedding at the same time gives you a sense of accomplishment that makes you feel like you can handle anything thrown your way.

During the midst of college classes and planning for your big day, you may feel like you are drowning. But, when you find that perfect dress and you start to cry because you get THAT feeling, you know that you wouldn’t want to have your wedding at any other time in your life. You slowly start to realize that all the stress of college and planning is worth it because, let’s face it, wedding planning is a different kind of stressful. When you imagine yourself walking down the aisle in the perfect dress, loved ones all around you, starring at the love of your life. Looking a them, knowing that at the end of that day they are going to be your spouse, you realize that the stress over the last few years has been 100% worth it. I mean, the sexy honeymoon after with your hot spouse is a huge perk too. 

21 years old, Senior at CWU, Go Cats!, Dog mom, Fiancé.